Barema Professional Qualification - February 2016
Tuesday, February 23, 2016 from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Barema Professional Qualification
A non-profit-making, fully accredited, government-recognised qualification, created specifically for Barema members
Accepted by ALL credentialing schemes
Options for Hospital Access or Theatre Access,
Cardio-respiratory or Anaesthetics & Critical Care
Barema qualification: who is it for?
Course options: how to choose which one's for you
Course content: topics and what you get for your money
Essential facts about your qualification
THE BAREMA QUALIFICATION: who is it for?
A key part of Barema's vision is to, "maintain [the anaesthetic and respiratory] sector's enviable reputation for exceptionally high levels of quality, safety, [and] reliability". Developing the Barema Professional Qualification demonstrates our commitment to fulfilling this mission.
The course has been designed to cater specifically for the needs of Barema members. In the words of one of our past participants, the course is for -
1. Anyone who is likely to enter the clinical environment
Reps, trainers, product specialists etc
2. Management (including senior management)
Management need to be aware of their obligations and responsibilities to the employee and to the customer and patients
The course includes practical sessions in hospital and is the only equivalent course with full endorsement of the Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain & Ireland (AAGBI) and the support of the Royal College of Anaesthetists.
One aspect of meeting the needs of our members is keeping it affordable; for this reason it is just one day long (to avoid overnight accommodation) and is run at cost: £445+VAT per person. Barema makes no profit from the course.
COURSE OPTIONS: how to choose which one's for you
In the UK, Trusts are increasingly demanding evidence of appropriate training of the product specialists wishing to visit their hospitals. In response to the increased scrutiny of hospital visitors, Barema has extended the range of options available to meet all its member companies’ needs:
Anaesthetics & Critical Care product specialist
Cardio-respiratory product specialist
Registered with HCPC or NMC
Visiting Operating Theatres
Theatre Access: A&CC
Theatre Access: CR
Visiting other hospital areas
Hospital Access: A&CC
Hospital Access: CR
How to choose which option is right for you:
If your role involves visiting Operating Theatres, choose one of the Theatre Access courses: if not, then choose one of the Hospital Access qualifications.
If you specialise in Anaesthetics &/or Critical Care / ITU then take one of the A&CC option: if your company supplies respiratory equipment, then select one of the CR version of the course.
We’re also aware some people worked as nurses, ODPs or similar before working in the device industry. For these individuals, if still currently registered with HCPC or NMC, there is the further option of gaining the qualification through online tests plus practical assessment at your place of work. This gives a lower cost alternative which doesn’t require attending the day’s training. If the online option is of interest, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
All options of the Barema Qualification are recognised by all credentialing schemes (MIA, Reptrax, Who Are You Ltd) as evidence of training, e.g. it confers eligibility for the MIA card (£18+VAT)
Topics covered include:
- How the medical device industry works
- Fostering good relationships with clinical staff
- Infection control, decontamination, sterilisation & disinfection
- European Medical Device Directive
- Working with EDME
- Role of the MHRA
- Product indemnity
- Medico-legal expertise on legal issues & medical negligence
- Taking loan equipment and samples into hospitals
- Keeping the legal and reputational position of the individual safe
- Keeping the legal and reputational position of the employer safe
- Cross-infection & Standard Precautions
- Risk management
- Duty of care, patient confidentiality and data protection
- Adverse incident reporting & field observations
- Professional responsibility & accountability in clinical areas
The cost of the course includes:
- Pre-course reading
- Full day's training including operating theatre / hospital practical session
- Post-course evaluation (online)
- Certification from Healthcare Skills
- Qualification issued by eduQual (TVQ) a Government awarding body, regulated by Ofqual
- Photo ID badge from Healthcare Skills, which includes AAGBI and company logos
ESSENTIAL FACTS about your qualification
• Qualification issued by eduQual (TVQ) a Government awarding body regulated by Ofqual (The Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation)
• Endorsed by AAGBI (Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain & Ireland)
• Supported by RCoA (Royal College of Anaesthetists)
• Qualification recognised by all credentialing schemes (MIA, Reptrax, Who Are You Ltd) as evidence of training, e.g. it confers eligibility for the MIA card (£18+VAT)
• Number of places: maximum 20 people
• Qualification is valid for 2 years, renewable by online re-accreditation
• Cost:(for members) £445+VAT to cover training costs plus £130+VAT to register with eduQual (total £575+VAT)
• Deposit: You will have to pay a non-returnable deposit of £100+VAT when you register online to reserve your place. You will then be invoiced for the remainder (total £475+VAT)
• Confirmation: Your place will be confirmed once full payment is received
• Cost of online option: £150. If this is of interest, please email email@example.com.
• Non-members: non-returnable deposist is £200+VAT. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to pay the remaining costs and confirm your place
Please note that
• Your place will not be confirmed until full payment is received
• Deposits are non-returnable
• Transferring to a future course date fewer than 30 days before the course date incurs an administrative charge of £100
• Cancellation fewer than 30 days before the course will incur a charge of 75% full cost
• Cancellation fewer than 15 days beforehand is non-refundable.
Please contact -