San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
The Beltane Annual Gathering 2014: Citizens, Research! will be our biggest single event of the year! We hope it will energise you, allow you to meet others with shared interests, and provoke you to take your next public engagement step. We would also like you to use it as an opportunity to tell us what Beltane should do in the coming year.
At this year’s Gathering, we will be looking at citizen research. Scientists might know this as citizen science, but many disciplines use crowdsourcing in their research. We will explore the pros and cons of inviting members to participate in your research, share best practice, and get inspired by some real-life examples.
Our venue for the 2014 Gathering, the Grassmarket Community Project, is a partnership between the Grassmarket Mission and Edinburgh's Greyfriars Kirk. The project supports people through transitions in their lives and re-connects disengaged people. The Project moved into its new-build home at the bottom of Candlemaker Row in early 2013.
The main audience for the Gathering is staff and students from universities in Edinburgh. We also welcome people not associated with higher education institutions who would like to engage with Edinburgh’s universities.
If you are affiliated to a university that is not in Edinburgh and would like to attend the Gathering, please contact us.
Share your engagement!
Nicola Osborne, Social Media Officer at EDiNA (and long-time friend of Beltane), invites you to partake in some interactive crowdsourcing. Share your engagement experiences through EDiNA'sFieldTrip GB app and we'll unveil the big picture at the Gathering!
- Get fuelled by food and drink
- Get inspired by stands showcasing different examples of citizen research projects
- Hooked On Music
- Hugh Miller's citizen science
- Using citizen science to help scientists fight malaria
- Participatory research - children and social inclusion
- A crowdsourced textbook - transferable learning
- Botanica Mathematica
18:30: Come together for:
- Beltane: the last 12 months and the next 12 (Heather Rea, Beltane Network)
- Your engagement experiences - crowdscourced! (Nicola Osborne, EDiNA)
18:50: Break out
- Citizen Research Masterclass
- Meet the Beltane Fellows
- What shound Beltane do in 2015?
19:40: Beltane's next chapter (Charlie Jeffery, Vice Principal Public Policy and Impact, University of Edinburgh)