Big Data, Social Media Research and Innovations in Research Methods – how will social science research and teaching evolve to meet the challenges of big data?
Wednesday, 9 November 2016 from 18:00 to 20:30 (GMT)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
- What opportunities does the availability of big social data provide for social research? What new questions can we answer?
- Characteristics of big data include volume, variety and velocity; what new skills and methods are needed for data collection and data analysis?
- What ethical considerations are there in the use of social media data and other forms of big data?
- What are the challenges in negotiating access to big data for social research?
- What impact are these challenges having on the pace of change in the social sciences? How fast do social science courses need to evolve to equip researchers with the skills they need to engage in data intensive research?
Led by SAGE Publishing and the Campaign for Social Science, this event will bring together a panel of researchers this event will bring together a panel of researchers and experts to discuss the opportunities and challenges facing social scientists in this new world of big data analytics, exploring the various ways in which teaching and research are being adapted and influenced by vast new data sources and corresponding methodological innovations. We will explore these topics as we come to debate what the social research of the future will look like.
- Chair: Martha Sedgwick, Head of Product Innovation, SAGE Publishing
- Sharon Witherspoon, Head of Policy, Academy of Social Sciences and Campaign for Social Science
- Dr Luke Sloan, Senior Lecturer, Cardiff University and Deputy Director of Cardiff Q-Step
- Mark Kennedy, Director, KPMG Centre for Business Analytics
Join SAGE and the Campaign for an evening debate and networking reception. Look forward to seeing you there!
When & Where
SAGE Publishing and the Campaign for Social Science
Sara Miller McCune founded SAGE Publishing in 1965 to support the dissemination of usable knowledge and educate a global community. SAGE is a leading international provider of innovative, high-quality content publishing more than 900 journals and over 800 new books each year, spanning a wide range of subject areas. Our growing selection of library products includes archives, data, case studies and video. SAGE remains majority owned by our founder and after her lifetime will become owned by a charitable trust that secures the company’s continued independence. Principal offices are located in Los Angeles, London, New Delhi, Singapore, Washington DC and Melbourne. www.sagepublishing.com
The Campaign for Social Science was launched in 2011 to promote social science to the UK Government and the wider public.We campaign for policies that support social science inquiry in the UK, such as the retention of large-scale longitudinal research programmes. We promote social science on social media and organise events to explain its value.The Campaign is sponsored by a coalition of 51 universities, learned societies, charities and publishers.https://campaignforsocialscience.org.uk/