Actions and Detail Panel
Big Wild Sleep Out on RSPB Havergate Island
Sun, 27 Aug 2017, 13:00 – Mon, 28 Aug 2017, 17:00 BST
Spend a night and a day surrounded by wildlife in a RSPB nature reserve - on Suffolk's only island!
This is your chance of an exclusive overnight stay on this uninhabited island on the Suffolk coast. Connect with nature on a relaxed evening stroll along the island's narrow footpath while taking in the sunset, and admire the incredible vast star-studded sky before you crawl into your tent. The following morning, wake early to watch the sunrise behind the Orford Ness lighthouse, improve your photography or bird watching skills with the help of our excellent guides, take time out to explore this unique reserve and watch its incredible wildlife before the small group returns to Orford by boat.
This is an adventure for photographers, birders and families alike and we offer guidance and activities for all ages and skill levels.
Our programme of exciting activities:
* Join Jeremy Hennell James, your photography guide, for a stroll along the island and improve your landscape photography skills. All levels of knowledge and camera models are welcome.
* Follow our 'Ghosts of the Hares' trail and with some luck spot one of the wild Havergate hares in their natural home too.
* Join John Grant, one of Suffolk's most experienced birders, for a truly addicting birding experience or drop in at one of the five bird watching hides on your own. We expect to see a good variety of wading birds, ducks and geese, the island's resident barn owls, little egrets, avocets, spoonbills, various gulls and terns - to name just a few.
* Learn how to set up a moth trap and help us to identify the catch of the night in the morning.
* Bring something to grill for your supper and gather around our fabulous roadii firegrill; we will set it up ready for all to use.
* We will have a European teatime on the second day and Monika will make German pancakes for everyone.
This will be a real adventure and you can choose to sleep either under the stars or bring your own tent.
We will have exclusive access to the island and places are limited to 26 participants. Please read our Terms & Conditions on www.wasuffolk.com/terms---conditions.html before you proceed with your booking.
Are there ID or minimum age requirements to enter the event?
This adventure is suitable for adults and families with children aged 5 and above. If your booking includes under 16 year olds, you accept that they must be accompanied and supervised by a responsible adult at any time.
What are my transport/parking options for getting to and from the event?
The island is accessible by boat only and in adverse wind conditions, the trip may be cancelled at short notice at the organiser's discretion; in this case, you will get your booking fee fully refunded. Car parking will be arranged on a separate, free site nearby and is also available in the pay-and-display car park close to Orford Quay. There is no public transport available from the local rail stations to Orford; please contact the organiser if you plan to arrive by train.
I have restricted mobility. Can I participate?
You need to have a reasonable level of fitness for this trip as it requires getting on and off the boat with your luggage, transporting your own camping equipment to the camp site and walking on the uneven and possibly wet or muddy ground. Please contact Monika@WASuffolk.com before your booking if you have questions regarding your mobility.
How can I contact the organiser with any questions?
You are most welcome to contact the organiser at Monika@WASuffolk.com or via any other contact option on www.wasuffolk.com/contact-us.html
What's the refund policy?
Please be aware that strong winds can force us to cancel this event and that we need a minimum of fourteen participants to go ahead. Therefore, we reserve the right to cancel up to two days in advance due to wind and weather conditions or a lack of bookings. Under these circumstances, we will contact you in time and fully refund your fees. Please find our full Terms & Conditions on www.wasuffolk.com/terms---conditions.html
Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event?
NO, you don't have to bring a printed ticket. We will email you the ticket for your information only and you will NOT need to print it out for us. Just bring some kind of identification (driving license, ID card, payment card etc) to the event.
Is it ok if the name on my ticket or registration doesn't match the person who attends?
Yes, of course it is ok if you book for someone else. Infact, we are delighted if you decide to give a place on one of our events as a gift to a friend. If possible, please let us know about it via Monika@WASuffolk.com. Monika can email you a pdf file with a printable gift card for a birthday, Christmas or any other celebration if you ask her for it.