Looking for an adventure, to improve your cycle strength or prepare for a cycling holiday?
Then this ride is for you !
Our bimonthly FREE Women’s only Bike Belles Challenge or Improver rides from The Bike Dock are a fantastic way to improve your fitness, prepare for a cycling holiday, explore the north east with new friends.
The ride will take a variety of different routes exploring the local area and its cafes. All the rides are fully supported by our friendly, knowledgeable ride leaders who will help you with any mechanical issues, offer lots of useful cycling advice and encouragement along the way.
We will stop for refreshment and a good chin wag around the half way point. So it’s well worth bringing some cash along so you can get a drink and snack.
All of our challenge rides are designed to enable you to build up your strength and fitness with routes from 20 miles involving different terrains, all of our improver rides are designed to help you build your fitness and cycling skills with routes less than 30 miles round trip. The pace will be moderate however there will still be plenty time to chat with other riders during these more adventurous rides.
These rides are not for beginner we suggest that you test out a few of our Bike Belles rides either from The Life House or The Bike Dock before joining one of these more challenging rides. Click on the start locations for more information on the Bike Belles rides.
If you want more detail on the route planned on a specific date please do get in touch with us on 07467 337944 or drop us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Bikes and helmets are available for loan but please indicate you want to borrow a bike when booking.
The ride will be leaving at 09:00 am, and our ride leaders will be available from 8:30 to give your bike a safety check and ensure you are ready for the ride.
The weather can be unpredictable so please make sure you check the weather and dress appropriately, gloves and a waterproof are recommended. In case of hazardous conditions the ride may be cancelled.
Ticket sales close at 6pm the evening before a ride.
I don't have my own bike, can I borrow one?
- Yes! We have a range of bikes and helmets which you can borrow for the ride plus they are FREE to use. Please indicate when booking if you need to borrow a bike.
What if I am not fit enough for the ride?
- These rides are not for beginner we suggest that you test out a few of our Bike Belles rides either from The Life House or The Bike Dock before joining one of these more challenging rides. Click on the start locations for more information on the Bike Belles rides.
What are my transport/parking options getting to the event?
- By Bike - The Bike Dock is located on the river front on National Cycle Network Route 7 (Coast to Coast). We have a secure storage area you can leave your bike in for the duration of the activity if it’s not a ride that is! There are also multiple bike racks you can use if you bring your own lock.
- By Car - follow signs for the National Glass Centre, Liberty Way, Sunderland SR6 0GL.
- Parking - the National Glass Centre has a large free carpark which can be used. The University of Sunderland also has a large carpark but charges do apply. Please check the information boards for the most up to date information about charges.
- By Metro – The nearest metro is St. Peter’s and is approximately 10 minutes away.
What should I bring with me?
Before the ride/activity please check the weather and dress appropriately. The weather is changeable so we always recommend a waterproof jacket and gloves. Depending on the length of the ride you may want to bring water and a snack with you. We often stop for refreshments so you might want to bring a bit of money with you if you want to buy something.
What should I wear?
Something you can move in comfortably. We recommend leggings or jogging bottoms which are tight at the ankle. Layers are also a good idea and waterproof jacket is often essential.
How much does the event cost?
Nothing! This project is supported by the Director of Public Health Sunderland and as such the running costs have been covered.
What if I cannot make it the ride after I have booked onto it?
You should be able to cancel your place through Eventbrite – however this can be difficult especially through your mobile. If you cannot make the ride please email email@example.com or ring 07467 337 944.
What if the ride is cancelled?
We will always try and let you know with as much notice as possible. Sometimes this can be first thing in the morning on the day of the ride. We will get in touch via the contact information you booked with, usually your mobile. Please ensure this is correct.
Where does the ride meet?
Unless otherwise stated all the rides start at The Bike Dock which is on the river between the National Glass Centre and the university buildings. The Bike Dock is a wooden clad building next to the overflow gravel carpark. Please see the map below for more information.