BRAIN INJURY AWARNESS TRAINING FOR FAMILIES AND CARERS
This 3 hour course is for those living with or supporting someone with a brain Injury. The course has been funded by Arun District Council and is FREE of charge.
Many people leave hospital with their loved one with little, if any information to help them both understand the effects of brain injury and how they can support their loved one.
During this course you will learn to recognise the physical, psychological, cognitive and executive effects of ABI. The training will help you be aware of the ways people can be supported to cope with those effects.
This course will:
✔︎ Help you to be able to understand how the brain works
✔︎ How a brain injury affects the brain
✔︎ How a Brain Injury affects the person
✔︎ How to give support to cope with the effects.
The course is delivered by Deborah Robinson. Deborah has extensive ABI and training experience and works within Headway.
Refreshments are available from 9.30am. Please arrive ready to start the training at 10.00am promptly, we have a lot to get through. You will receive all the slides as handouts.
Information regarding age limits for attendees and why this is a family and carers only training session
The training is not suitable for those under 12 Years of age and we feel the parent/guardian should be aware of the information below.
- The training is frank and we discuss ABI and its effects in plain language and very honestly.
- There is a very large amount of information to take on board.
- Sexual issues are discussed.
- Inappropriate sexual behaviour is discussed.
- The nature of the training can bring many different issues up for the attendees and there is no way to know what will be discussed and people’s reaction, feelings and how they express those feelings.
- Having someone with an ABI at the training can be challenging with regards to the pace and quantity of information and can suppress others attending the training from feeling they can take part and speak freely.
When coming to Dove Lodge, please park on the road, there is plenty of free parking near the building.
- There are two disabled parking spaces at the front of the building/car park at rear if they are full.
- The building is fully accessible.
- If you are attending training please sign in and make your way to the training room.
- Dove Lodge is about a 5-10 minute walk from Littlehampton train station and buses to the town centre are frequent.
- Please DO NOT park at the rear of the building or you may receive a fine.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are not a carer or family member and you book a place on this course, you will be charged.