Actions and Detail Panel
Breaking Through Barriers: Counselling within the BAMER* Community
Thu 22 June 2017, 12:30 – 17:00 BST
Jeena has been piloting a 3 month specialist Black Asian Minority Ethnic and Refugee (BAMER)* Counselling service funded by the Thames Valley Police and Crime Commissioner for victims of crime in the Thames Valley area.
The findings will be presented at a 'Breaking Through Barriers: Counseling within the BAMER* Community' seminar with the aim of understanding the issues and raising awareness around the challenges to counselling within the BAMER community. The format will consist of interactive workshops including case studies.
The heart of the message is about the need for positive engagement and demystifying counseling within this community.
This seminar will benefit professionals who engage with the BAMER community:
- Charities - Working with domestic abuse Women/Young People/Men
- Education - Head teachers/designated safeguarding officers
- Health Professionals
- Social Workers
- Student’s social care/probation
Outcomes for Attendees:
- An Understanding of the complexities of the lives of individuals and families within the BAMER community•
- How to engage with the BAMER communities effectively
- Awareness of the cultural dynamics of domestic abuse within BAMER families
- Challenging our own belief systems, assumptions and attitudes held in working within the community
Please note there are concessions and bursary’s available for voluntary sector and students.