Actions and Detail Panel
Breathe Easy - Engineering Air Quality Solutions Now
Fri 21 October 2016, 09:00 – 13:00 BST
Pollution and poor air quality, particularly in urban areas, is an increasing concern for local authorities, health and public services, and the public alike. Chaired by Paddy Conaghan, CIBSE Vice-President, this event will highlight both the problems and the practical engineering and policy solutions which may be applied now to address UK air quality challenges and opportunities. The emphasis will be on practical actionable advice, relevant and recent case studies, and signposting to information resources and proven solutions. This event aims to bring together people from across sectors to encourage inter-disciplinary exchange.
This event will be useful for:
Engineers, innovators, firms specialising in indoor and outdoor air quality solutions, architects, urban designers, local authority officers and Councillors, community groups working locally to address air pollution, those working in public health, building services and operations managers and consultants supporting all mentioned groups.
9am Registration & networking
9.30am Chair’s welcome: Paddy Conaghan, CIBSE Vice-President
Every breath we take: the lifelong impact of air pollution: Prof Patrick Saunders, Faculty of Public Health
BUCCANEER: Birmingham Urban Climate Change Adaptation with Neighbourhood Estimates of Environmental Risk: Profesor John Thornes
10.10: Context setting
How environmental engineering, design of buildings and operation can provide healthier indoor environments: Dr Marcella Ucci, Lecturer in Environmental and Healthy Buildings, UCL Institute for Environmental Design and Engineering & Chair of the UK Indoor Environments Group (UKIEG)
Interdependencies between housing, energy and wellbeing: Clive Shrubsole, Research Associate (Healthy Buildings), UCL Institute for Environmental Design and Engineering
Building regulations and standards related to air quality: Dr Julie Godefroy, Sustainability consultant
10.45 Coffee & Tea break
11am: Hard and green engineering solutions to tackle poor air quality in our homes, hospitals and transport systems
- Safe as houses? Ventilation and health in dwellings: Dr Benjamin Jones, Assistant Professor, University of Nottingham
- Engineering solutions for air quality in homes: Dr Andy Dengel, BRE Indoor Air Quality team
- The spread of infectious disease and antimicrobial filters: Dr Lena Circic, UCL, Lecturer at University College London
- Indoor air quality in hospitals: Dr Ghasson Shabha, Senior Lecturer, Birmingham School of Engineering and the Built Environment
- Air pollution: home or away?: Emeritus Prof John Thornes, University of Birmingham
- TBC –case study based on Leicester: Dr Teresa Raventos, University of Leicester
- Green Infrastructure as a built environment air quality service: Professor John Dover, Staffordshire University
Midday: Horizon scanning masterclasses: What air quality solutions could we implement if barriers were removed?
12.05 Introduction to the exercise
12.10 Table work
12.35 Reconvene & reporting back
12.50 Roadmap for the future
1pmEvent close, lunch and networking
NB: This event is designed to encourage engineering solutions to tackle air quality. Any representatives from industry attending the event are welcome to bring promotional materials that can be distributed by hand over the networking lunch but we kindly ask that these are not displayed in the room before that point.