Actions and Detail Panel
Brexit: the scientific impact
Mon 8 May 2017, 13:00 – 18:00 BST
The United Kingdom’s vote to leave the European Union has thrown the world of science and innovation into great uncertainty on both sides of the channel. The ramifications of Brexit are still unknown, but it is certain to affect jobs, funding and collaborations for decades to come.
On the eve of Europe Day 2017, EuroScience, Academia Europaea and the Royal Institution have come together to hold a summit for scientists, policymakers and key influencers to debate the wide-ranging consequences of this historic decision.
1.00pm – 1.30pm Coffee and tea
1.30pm – 1.40pm Welcome by professor Lauritz Holm-Nielsen, president EuroScience
1.40pm – 3.30pm Panel on the impact on UK science and innovation
3.30pm – 3.50pm Break
3.50pm – 5.40pm Panel on the impact on science and innovation in the remaining EU-27
5.40pm – 6.00pm Wrap up and closing
Panellists and moderators
Among the panelists are:
* Prof Dame Janet Thornton, Director-emeritus European Bioinformatics Institute, member of the Scientific Council of the ERC
* Prof Alex Halliday, Physical Secretary and Vice-President of the Royal Society
* Prof Nicole Grobert, Oxford University and Williams Advanced Engineering Ltd
* Prof Mark Ferguson, Director General, Science Foundation Ireland, and Chief Scientific Adviser to the Government of Ireland
* Prof Ole Petersen, Vice-President Academia Europaea
* Dr Rolf Tarrach, President European University Association
Panellists will speak in a personal capacity.
* Mr Clive Cookson, Financial Times
* Prof Gail Cardew, Professor of Science, Culture and Society and Director of Science and Education, Royal Institution
Facts and figures
A special booklet will be available with some key facts and data on various interactions in the area of science, higher education and innovation between the UK and other European countries. It can be downloaded hereone month ahead of the debate.
By booking to attend events at the Royal Institution, you confirm that you have read and agree to the Ri's event terms and conditions.