17 November 2016 9.30am to 4.00pm - Brook Milton Keynes
Quaker Centre, 1 Oakley Gardens, Milton Keynes, MK15 9BH
Tickets available: Free*, Early Bird and Standard
Research shows that people are happier and more productive in an environment in which they feel they can be themselves without fear of harassment or abuse and although society as a whole is becoming more tolerant of the diversity of sexual orientations, homophobia is still ingrained in many institutions and communities. This continues to have an extremely negative affect on the lives of LGBT people.
This course will explore sexuality and gender and provide participants with deeper knowledge and skills around the topic.
By the end of the course participants will:
- Discuss attitudes to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered young people.
- Discuss stereotypes, judgments and assumptions around sexuality
- Describe LGBT issues affecting young people and identify ways of supporting the young people you work with around these issues.
- Define and understand terminology
- Demonstrate practical skills to support a young person with a disclosure
- Describe how to develop professional practice to ensure LGBT inclusivity within SRE work with young people
- Identify practical ways to challenge homophobia in a youth setting
- Identify where to signpost young people for support
Who is this training applicable to?
This course is for anyone working with young people.
*Who is eligible for a free place?
Professionals working in the location of the training with young people under 25 can access the training free of charge. Please note not all training locations are able to offer this, please refer to ticket types for information. If you have any queries regarding your eligibility please contact email@example.com.
What is the cancellation/ refund policy?
Please note you will be charged if, having been offered a place, you fail to attend or do not cancel in writing within set time periods, including if your place is free, as set out in our cancellation policy which can be found on our webstie.
When & Where
1 Oakley Gardens
MK15 9BH Milton Keynes
Brook is the UK's largest young people's sexual health charity and supports nearly 250,000 young people UK-wide, each year. We passionately believe that good quality training helps to counter health inequalities and Brook courses are designed to create a stimulating learning environment which encourages reflection, challenge, sharing of best practice and personal development.