Actions and Detail Panel
Bury Schools Partnership - Y5/6/7 Orienteering
Wed 29 March 2017, 13:00 – 15:00 BST
Bury Schools Paretnership Year 5/6/7 Orienteering competition at Nowton Park, the event will be run by Frank Carn-Pryor.
Minimum number of 4 pupils (two teams) per school. No maximum number. Please sign up 1 team per 2 pupils.
Each school will be allocated an hour slot. 30 minutes of games and challenges followed by 30 minutes in the orienteering competition.
- Teams consist of 2 pupils. (A school must enter a minimum of two teams)
- Each teams will be given an all controls map consisting of 20 points
- Controls will consist of 10cmx10cm red/white markers and punch stamps
- Teams will have 30 minutes to record as many controls as possible (2 points for each control)
- Teams will get a 5 minutes warning whistle will be sounded
- Teams will incur a 1 point penalty for every 30 seconds past the end time
- Teams must stay together at all times. Separated teams will be disqualified.
We will use Nowton Park for this event– Explore Outdoor regularly uses this venue for children’s orienteering because of its enclosed nature, but still with areas of woodland and undergrowth. This allows the children to feel a sense of adventure but allowing supervisors to monitor the group effectively.
- Clear boundaries will be identified to each group prior to the session
- Teams must not separate
- All participants will be briefed on what to do if they become disoriented
- All participants will be briefed on what to do if approached by a stranger
- Teachers/volunteers will be asked to stand a strategic points in High Visibility Jackets
- Whistles will be used to start each round, give a 5 minute warning and to signify the end of a round.
The deadline to enter is 6pm, Friday 10 March. This is so that Frank and I have a chance to plan the day and allocate you all a time slot.