THIS EVENT IS NOW FULLY BOOKED. HOWEVER, IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO ATTEND, PLEASE EMAIL HARMIT.KAMBO@SMK.ORG.UK. WE WILL ADD YOU TO A WAITING LIST AND DEPENDING ON DEMAND, WE MAY MOVE THE EVENT TO A LARGER VENUE TO ENABLE YOU TO ATTEND.
About the 'Securing election manifesto commitments' masterclass
This session will look at strategies to secure election manifesto commitments, presented by Ed Matthew, the coordinator of a major alliance campaign, the Energy Bill Revolution.
The campaign is trying to get manifesto commitments from all the major UK parties to the world’s most ambitious home energy efficiency programme. The aim is to end fuel poverty and reduce UK carbon emissions at the scale and speed required.
Ed will set out the strategy that has been developed to achieve the manifesto commitments in support of the Energy Bill Revolution. He will also draw on his campaign experience to set out the key elements of a successful charity campaign to influence election manifestos, including how to build an effective political strategy, build powerful alliances and develop a successful communications strategy. Ed will also discuss where the different political parties are on the road to the 2015 election and identify some of the key politicians who will influence the manifestos.
Participants will learn:
- Effective ways of raising your issue up the political agenda, especially in terms of election manifestos
- How and when political parties devise their election manifestos
- Who some of the key players are in shaping the main political parties'election manifestos
Masterclass key details
Date and time: Tuesday 15th July, 2.00 - 5.00pm (Registration from 1.45pm)
Venue: Forster Communications, 49 Southwark Street, London, SE1 1RU (http://www.forster.co.uk/contact-us/)
Presenter: Ed Matthew, Founder & Director of Transform UK
What you will learn from the masterclass programme
The SMK masterclass programme is designed to provide campaigners with:
- Practical information and advice about effective campaigning tools and tactics. This is not a theory-based programme, but about what works in practice
- Ideas and advice about how to overcome specific challenges facing their campaign
- A peer network of campaigners confronting similar challenges and an opportunity to learn from each other
About Ed Matthew
Ed Matthew is the founder and Director of Transform UK, an alliance programme dedicated to accelerating investment into the low carbon economy.
Ed previously led the Economics Team at Friends of the Earth for four years which specialised in climate economics. The team successfully campaigned for the introduction of Carbon Budgets within the Climate Change Act and the introduction of Feed in Tariffs and the Renewable Heat Incentive in the Energy Act 2008.
Ed has 14 years experience as an NGO campaigner working on biodiversity and climate change issues and has also worked for WWF, The Wilderness Society in Australia and the Environmental Investigation Agency.
Ed is an award winning campaigner and has received The Energy Institute’s Communication of the Year award for the Green Investment Bank Campaign, the Renewable Energy Association’s Campaign of the Year award for the Feed in Tariff campaign and the Observer Food Monthly Campaign of the Year award for his palm oil campaign.
*** Free bursary places are available for students and individuals who are unwaged or on a low income as we want to ensure our events are accessible to all. However, our experience has been that some people we offer bursaries to do not then attend, which is a waste of our resources. For this reason, we require a £10 deposit to be paid, which will be returned in full after you attend the event. However, if you book a bursary place and do not attend without notifying Harmit Kambo (email@example.com) in advance and providing a good reason, SMK reserves the right to retain the deposit.
Please read our general Terms and Conditions.
When & Where
Sheila McKechnie Foundation (SMK)
The Sheila McKechnie Foundation (SMK) is a unique charity that supports individuals, groups and communities to have the skills and confidence to speak up and take effective action on issues that matter to them.Our work includes;
- Providing training, coaching and consultancy to help people and organisations develop the knowledge, skills and confidence they need to campaign effectively.
- Being a voice for campaigners by advocating for the needs and benefits of campaigning, and protecting the space to campaign.
- Bringing campaigners together and celebrating success through our networks, events and annual SMK Campaigner Awards.
For more information please visit on website www.smk.org.uk.