San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
This is a two-day course running on Wednesday 24th May and Wednesday 31st May.
09:30 registration for a 10:00 start each day. Finishes at 16:00
In 2017-18 we’re very pleased to offer this 2-day Carbon Literacy, accredited by the award winning Carbon Literacy Project in Manchester. Carbon literacy means having an instinctive understanding of the carbon impacts of our activities, and being able to make informed choices about the most energy and resource efficient and lower carbon options available to us.
Over the two-days we’ll cover the basics of climate science, look at current and likely impacts of a changing climate, explore how to communicate climate change, look at where carbon emissions come from and explore ways to encourage and support others to take steps to reduce their carbon footprint.
Attendance on the course is free but participants will be asked to cover the cost of certification (£10 plus VAT). Please note when you register you will be asked if you wish to be put forward for this certification and invoiced in advance.
Delivered by: Keep Scotland Beautiful as part of the Capacity Building Programme for the CCF.
Aims of the day
During the 2 days we will:
- Examine the scientific basis for climate change
- Explore the potential impacts rising greenhouse gasses and a changing climate
- Learn about communicating climate change and practice some techniques for doing so
- Understand the anthropogenic sources of GHGs and how our everyday lives relate to them
- Explore the Scottish Government's Low Carbon Behaviours and the challenges/opportunities to adoption in your community
- Explore behaviour change models and how these might help you structure investigation into increasing adoption in your community
By the end of the day you will:
- Have an improved understanding of the science of climate change
- Be more confident in talking to people about climate change
- Have improved carbon literacy
- Identify low carbon behaviours you would like to adopt yourself and to encourage in your community
- Develop a plan to identify opportunities/barriers to adopting low carbon behaviours in your community
Who’s this event for?
Anyone from a community-led organisation that is interested in taking action on climate change
Save This Event
When & Where
Keep Scotland Beautiful
Keep Scotland Beautiful is the independent charity which campaigns, acts and educates on a range of local, national and global environmental issues which affect people’s quality of life. It is committed to making Scotland clean and green, today and tomorrow. Our initiatives are estimated to reach at least one in five people across Scotland.
Our themes are:
(1) Sustainable Development Education
We are the national leaders delivering environmental education across Scotland. Our Eco-Schools programme is operational in 98% of Scotland's schools with 46% attaining the internationally-recognised Green Flag Award.
(2) Local Environmental Quality
We also lead the way on protecting the quality of Scotland’s environment. We work with all of Scotland’s local authorities and inspire hundreds of thousands of volunteers to engage in our environmental initiatives. These include the Clean Up Scotland Campaign, Beautiful Scotland, It’s Your Neighbourhood, Blue Flag for Beaches, Scotland’s Seaside Awards and our Green Flag Awards for public parks.
(3) Sustainability Development and Climate Change
We are the heart of sustainability and climate change in Scotland. We manage the Sustainable Scotland Network which supports Scotland’s public bodies and 32 local authorities with their actions on sustainability. We are also proud to manage the Climate Challenge Fund which supports communities groups wishing to pursue carbon reduction activities.