Churches and other places of worship contain wonderful collections of fixtures, fittings and objects redolent of the history and significance of the building. The care and housekeeping of these collections can be daunting: items may be old, fragile or neglected, and volunteers may hesitate to handle them. This free course will enable you to understand how to care for, handle and store these collections.
Kate Andrew, the tutor, is a conservator with many years' experience in the care, cleaning and display of precious objects. She will introduce you to basic cleaning techniques, show you how to choose appropriate cleaning equipment and materials and - most important - how to avoid over-cleaning or damage.
We will select objects from the church for the training and the session will be practical and hands-on. We will work together to carry out some conservation cleaning in the church, looking at woodwork; flooring, textiles, paper records; glass and metalwork; we will also discuss 'living with your wildlife' such as bats and insects.
You will be shown how to identify the problems, choose suitable cleaning and housekeeping equipment and materials we will also handle and pack a variety of materials. This will be supported by how to record your work, record the objects, identify and locate sources of potential damage, identify pests and any other skills or techniques you are interested in.
This day is for anyone from a place of worship of any denomination who would like guidance on how best to clean and care for a range of artefacts and materials likely to be found in their building. The day is free, and the lunch will be provided at a nearby pub (which is where the toilets are, there being only very limited facilities at the church!)
- 10.45am registration with hot drinks
- 11 am introduction - slides
- Walk-round: examine artefacts/monuments etc; review materials, cleaning options, identify issues or problems - what may be causing them and what you can do.
- Practical cleaning of some of the artefacts with brushes, vacuum cleaning and other basic methods.
- 12:30-1:30 Lunch at the Rising Sun
- Discussion of basic tools and materials. Guidance on where to source the equipment and put together an affordable set of cleaning tools.
- Further practical cleaning of materials and discussions.
- Recording what we have done for your church records.
- Tea and cake; discussion about insects, pest damage and other potential risks.
- 3.30pm depart.
Joining instructions including parking etc will be given when you sign up.
What to bring/wear: Bring pencils (rather than pens). If you have a camera bring it along. You may get a bit dirty or dusty so wear suitable clothing and closed shoes. We will also walk round the outside of the church so wear layers of warm clothes.
If you need further information, please contact Judith Eversley, SW Regional Project Officer on 07776 185 668 or email firstname.lastname@example.org