Carol Fishman Cohen on innovative return-to-work strategies
Thursday, 11 April 2013 from 18:30 to 19:45 (BST)
Carol Fishman Cohen, author Back on the Career Track, co-founder iRelaunch explains the non-traditional job-hunt strategies which work best for career relaunchers. This webinar is co-produced by the INSEAD Alumni Career Service and Sensible Media.
Returning to work after a career break can seem daunting. Relaunchers fear that their skills and contacts have atrophied and those who don't want to return to traditional, full time work worry that they won’t find a job which offers the flexibility they need. With many job markets weak, finding a receptive employer can seem a tall order.
Returners worry in particular about:
- Out-of-date skills (in particular technology skills)
- Mismatch with old role (especially one involving long and/or uncertain hours)
- Disconnection from professional networks
- Employer preference for younger workers who have not taken a career break
- Loss of confidence
Drawing on the experiences of more than 3000 relaunchers who have attended Carol’s iRelaunch conferences, this webinar focuses on those relaunch paths and strategies which real returners have found most useful, including:
- Returnships (mid-career internships)
- Consulting and other employment outside full-time work
- Going back to study, and what kinds of study programmes are best
- Strategic volunteering (what this means and actual examples)
- When and how to combine career change with career relaunch
We will also cover general returnship “tips and tricks” such as:
- The psychological quirk which maintains your reputation on a career break
- When you should pursue “full-time” opportunities and when you should not
- Why you should avoid or delay refining your requirements for relaunch work
- The truth about compensation and relaunching
- Which trade-offs you should consider and which you should resist
All registering for the webinar will be asked to fill in an online survey about their career relaunch aims and issues and we will draw on participant experiences in the session. Everyone who registers will be sent a session recording.
About Carol Fishman Cohen
Carol is the co-author of Back on the Career Track and co-founder of iRelaunch (which organises conferences for career relaunchers in the US and Europe). Carol began her career in investment management before gaining an MBA from Harvard Business School. She started her own career break while working for Drexel Burnham Lambert and subsequently re-launched her career with Bain Capital (in a process that was later written up as a Harvard Business School case study). She founded iRelaunch in 2007. She and iRelaunch co-founder Vivian Steir Rabin have presented their career re-entry strategies to nearly 10,000 people at 150 events since 2006.
Sensible Media Ltd
Sensible Media publishes online career guidance for business schools around the world. You can find out more here.