San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
A free talk with Green Party Co-Leader Caroline Lucas MP (with questions) about the Durham Future City Plan.
The Durham Future City Plan is in preparation by the County Durham Green Party and will set out how Durham could look if developed in a sustainable manner, guided by the principle of meeting resident’s present and future needs. Such needs include:
- Economic needs – creating jobs, revitalising our City centre, and ensuring that we are not hostage to the fortunes of economies beyond our control
- Housing Needs – housing numbers, type and location should be based on a realistic assessment of demographic trends and not artificially inflated inward migration to justify un-necessary road building
- Transport Needs – focusing on reducing the need to travel and on promotion of low carbon alternatives that benefit health rather than cause pollution
- Environmental Needs – setting out how development can complement both the natural and historical environment
- Food needs – describing how residents of Durham might reduce their reliance on food transported from around the world and increase consumption of local and sustainable produce
- Social Needs – this section will ask the question, how should we create opportunities for meaningful social interaction so that people can relax and create friendships, but also meet, plan and organise a better future?
When & Where
County Durham Green Party
County Durham Green Party is a political party seeking to gain elected representation on Durham County Council to ensure that decisions and plans made by the Council are influenced by green thinking.