The Roman birthplace of Manchester was also where industry bloomed in the late 18th century with the arrival of Britain’s first canal, the Bridgewater. Join us on this trample through the underfoot with a glass raised at our favourite temple of taste.
Castlefield is packed with history around every corner:
* The last piece of Roman wall in Manchester.
* Secluded waterways around Britain’s first canal.
* A brick hut from where people could emigrate to America (really!).
* Stupendous railway viaducts and the world’s oldest station.
* The most sprawling of museums.
* A graveyard full of surprises.