Actions and Detail Panel
#Cave Academy - A Young Person's Guide to the Modern World
#CAVEACADEMY @Rumi's Cave - A YOUNG PERSON'S GUIDE TO THE MODERN WORLD
An Introduction to Thinking
8 Weekly Seminars led by Dr Emre Kazim (King's College London)
Wednesdays 7-9pm / @Rumi's Cave
Starts 12th October 2016
We are proud to announce the launch of #CaveAcademy - a seasonal program of events at Rumi's Cave with an educational focus. This initiative was founded on the principle that those in power should not have a monopoly on knowledge; and so our aim is to empower people at a grassroots level.
Our first season is entitled A YOUNG PERSON'S GUIDE TO THE MODERN WORLD (An Introduction to Thinking) and will consist of 8 weekly classes led by Dr Emre Kazim who holds a PhD in Philosophy from Kings College London, where he also taught undergraduate students.
The format of these classes will consist of 2 hour seminars every Wednesday evening from 7-9pm starting from October 12th 2016. There will be recommended reading available throughout to make the most of the sessions. Further details for each seminar are available below.
Please register your interest to attend by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject #CaveAcademy .
The fee for the whole course is £40 and there is a £10 discount available for students and unemployed upon application.
1 - ON THINKING (12/10/16)
- An intro to Logic, Belief and Revelation.
- Interrelation of reason and revelation.
- Functions of Language: words, metaphor, allegory and poetry.
- Eschatology (teleological thinking).
2 - WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE HUMAN? (19/10/16)
- Defining the Human - vicegerent / rational animal.
- Kant and reason, Hegel and the socio-historical.
- Essence and Existence.
- Freedom and Determination.
3 - SCIENCE & RELIGION (26/10/16)
- Reason and Experience.
- Science as Method.
- Science and Metaphysics.
4 - TRADITIONALISM (02/11/16)
- What is a tradition?
- On static and dynamic traditionalism.
- Modern state and homogenisation.
- Religion and Ideology.
5- MAKING AN ARGUMENT (09/11/16)
- How to write an essay
6 - RELIGION & MODERNITY (16/11/16)
- Classical natural law vs. modern natural law
- On Authority: Protestant Reformation
- Secularisation: disenchantment and industry
7 - RESPONDING TO THE TIMES (23/11/16)
- On social development
- Revolution and Reform
- Identity and belonging
8) PRESENTATIONS & DEBATE (30/1116)
- Student led session