Actions and Detail Panel
CIfA GeoSIG & ADS Archiving Workshop
Fri 27 November 2015, 11:00 – 16:30 GMT
CIfA's Geophysics Special Interest Group (GeoSIG) have joined up with the Archaeology Data Service (ADS) to offer a one-day workshop on data archiving for geophysics using the ADS services. Given that a number of specifications for geophysical survey now require submission to a repository such as ADS it is hoped that this will be a useful and well-attended event, of interest to those working in the commercial, academic and research/volunteer sectors of archaeological geophysics.
The day will comprise a workshop and a round-table discussion on the past, present and future of geophysical data archiving; the last time either GeoSIG or ADS had a cross-sector appraisal of geophysical archiving was some 5 years ago and there have certainly been some changes within the industry in that time.
Louisa Matthews (ADS Collections Development Manager) and Ray Moore (ADS-easy Manager and Lead Digital Archivist) will be taking us through the ADS system whilst GeoSIG committee members will be in attendance to assist with the round-table discussions.
The workshop will include:
• an overview of the ADS system
• how to estimate archive costs ahead of survey
• the deposition process for geophysical data, including common pitfalls and issues
The round-table discussion will attempt to:
• review the archiving experiences of groups and individuals (both in-house and with third-party service providers)
• analyse the format and scale of datasets being archived today
• develop ideas of how archiving services might be improved or need to adapt to remain in step with potential technological or methodological advances
Participants are strongly encouraged to bring example datasets with them to demonstrate the variety and scale of projects which might require archiving. Lunch and refreshments will be provided on the day.
Non-members will receive one year's free membership to the GeoSIG group as a part of their ticket fee