Actions and Detail Panel
Citizens Advice Introduction to Functional Skills ICT
Thu, 11 May 2017, 13:00 – Thu, 29 Jun 2017, 16:00 BST
Functional Skills ICT (Information & Communication Technology) supports you to develop your ICT skills to help you in your everyday life at home and at work. This class supports people at different levels and learners have the opportunity to develop their skills by working through the City and Guilds ICT Functional Skills curriculum. Learners will complete a number of activities at the start of the course to establish their level of competence. They will then start to work through the course at that level.
The qualification is called, ‘City & Guilds Functional Skills ICT’ and the following Levels are available:
Entry level 1, Entry level 2, Entry level 3, Level 1 and Level 2.
You will also develop other skills which are useful at work and in everyday life: problem solving, working with others, teamwork and communication and having a positive attitude. You will also have an opportunity to improve or refresh your English and Maths skills.
What will I learn?
Functional Skills qualifications in ICT assess three interrelated skills areas. By the end of the course you will be able to complete the following:
• Use ICT systems - Use software and hardware safely
• Find and select information - use appropriate ICT based sources of information e.g. Internet, files & folders
• Develop, present and communicate information - enter and edit information for a given purpose
These skills can help you to:
- Enhance your employability prospects
- Develop other personal skills which are useful in work and everyday life
- Support your children/grandchildren to help advance their school work
What are the course entry requirements?
Learners will need to complete an ICT Functional skills assessment and taster session before they attend the course. We run sessions throughout the year. If you have the necessary skills to start the course you will be told what session and course you can attend.
You can take a Functional Skills ICT qualification if you:
- Are over 19 years of age
- Do not already have ICT Level 2 qualifications e.g. GCSE Grade A-C
- Already have basic keyboard and mouse skills
In order to attend this course you should be able to follow verbal and written instructions in English at Entry Level 3 and above, that is:
- write legibly in complete sentences using capital letters, full stops and question marks
- plan and write in short paragraphs, being able to draft a piece of writing e.g. a letter to a friend
- identify main points and ideas in a text
- spell common words correctly, proof read and correct spellings and use a dictionary