Actions and Detail Panel
Colour - a creative knitting workshop with knit designer Nicki Merrall
Sat 25 February 2017, 10:00 – 16:00 GMT
Join knit designer Nicki Merrall at The Refectory Table to discover how designers create colour palettes and develop your skill in choosing and using yarn colours for your own projects.
Nicki will demonstrate the techniques used by knit designers to develop colour palettes, and the use of colour in a variety of stitch patterns ranging from the simplest stitches to slip stitch patterns.
She'll guide you as you use these techniques to develop your own palettes from inspirational images and create beautiful knitted swatches.
You will leave with greater confidence in choosing and using yarn colours for your own projects, and knowing how to work a variety of stitch patterns which are easily adapted to create bags, blankets, cushions, scarves and throws.
Venue & What's Included
The workshop includes:
- Designer’s ‘show and tell’ using Nicki's own designs, swatches and knitting books.
- How to develop a colour palette from an inspirational source, and how to use your colour palette to create beautiful knitted swatches.
- Advice on developing your swatches into finished items.
- All materials, tools, a worksheet explaining techniques.
- You’ll be well looked after with refreshments all day, a home cooked two-course lunch (we cater to all dietary needs) and home baked cake before the final session, and leave with a goodie bag full of treats.
This workshop is for a maximum of 8 people and suitable for anyone who can knit garter and stocking stitch.
It's run 10am - 4.00pm by The Refectory Table at a friendly and spacious house in Loughborough, Leicestershire. Full details and directions will be sent to you upon booking.
What people say about our workshops
"An amazing and creative workshop in amazing and inspiring surroundings! The best day I have had for ages – wonderful to "be" and be creative."
"Very friendly environment, well paced & inspirational. Superb hospitality, lovely food – really great all round."
'You'll have a totally chilled day, be fed exceptionally well, and go home inspired."
About the Tutor - Nicki Merrall
Nicki Merrall is a knit designer based in Leicestershire. She designs and writes patterns for garments and accessories, usually using British wools. Nicki self-publishes some patterns and others are commissioned by magazines. Her main inspirations are art, traditional textiles, botany and architecture, plus the use of colour by the knitwear designers: Missoni, Kaffe Fasset and Alice Starmore.
Nicki is a 2017 winner of Knit Now Magazine 'Designer of the Year 2017'.