- Identifying current challenges and opportunities
- Examples of different approaches to community engagement
- Comparing different engagement methods and considering their advantages and disadvantages
- Looking at the roles councillors can adopt to develop new relationships with communities
- A practical model on building stronger communities.
9:30 Registration and Coffee
10:00 Introduction – Key challenges in the current climate around community engagement
10:30 Levels of engagement – the Ladder of Participation – a framework for planning support
10:40 Methods of engagement – pros and cons
11:30 Coffee break
11:45 Roles in engagement – Elected Members as ‘community leaders’ in the changing climate
13:45 Local arrangements for engagement – examples of area based working
14:15 Building Stronger Communities – a model
14:30 Approaches - Building skills and confidence in communities
15:00 Tea Break
15:15 Approaches - Building groups and enterprise
15:45 Review - how can we use the materials?
Save This Event
When & Where
Local Government Information Unit
For 25 years the Local Government Information Unit has provided support to councils and championed local democracy. The LGiU is an independent think-tank and a resource for local government. Our teams of policy analysts are experts in local government. They provide practical policy advice, training, consultancy, public affairs services and other resources to our members and other organisations.