Actions and Detail Panel
Compassionate Mind Training (CMT) 8-week course with Drs Chris Irons and Ch...
Mon, Sep 5, 2016, 6:30 PM – Mon, Oct 24, 2016, 8:30 PM BST
An 8-week Monday evening course, 6.30pm-8.30pm, on the following dates:
5th Sep; 12th Sep; 19th Sep; 26th Sep; 3rd Oct; 10th Oct; 17th Oct; 24th Oct.
During this innovative 8-week course, Drs Chris Irons and Charlie Heriot-Maitland will guide participants in learning how to develop their ‘compassionate minds’. Each session will involve a mixture of taught content, experiential exercises and practices (e.g. mindfulness, imagery, compassionate mind skills development), group discussion, videos and written work. As the sessions progress, participants will learn how to develop and access their ‘compassionate minds’, and how they can use this to reduce self-criticism, balance strong negative emotions (e.g. anger, anxiety, shame), and become more compassionate to themselves and other people.
During the course, participants will learn:
• how our minds are naturally susceptible to getting caught up in to negative thinking-emotion ‘loops’
• about the ‘three emotion systems’ model, and how many of us can get stuck in emotional imbalance
• what compassion is, what attributes help to facilitate it, what can block it, and how we can train our minds in it
• that compassion can come in three different ‘flows’ – to others (compassion for others), from others (compassion from others) and to ourselves (self-compassion)
• Develop skills to balance their emotions by developing skills in mindfulness and compassion
Participants will have the opportunity to develop skills in:
• Mindfulness – we will explore the power of attention and awareness, and practice a variety of mindfulness exercises that can help people to develop greater attentional stability
• Breathing – practicing how certain types of breathing rhythm help to sooth and calm the body, and consequentially, the mind
• Compassion – we will explore how to develop your ‘compassionate mind’ through a variety of practices, including those involving memory, imagery, embodied action, emotion and thinking.
This 8 Week Compassionate Mind Training programme is adapted from the groundbreaking work of internationally renowned psychologist and creator of Compassion Focused Therapy (CFT), Professor Paul Gilbert. Between them, Chris and Charlie have over 25 years of experience working with compassion, shame and self-criticism, and have worked closely with Professor Gilbert for many years. They are skilled compassion trainers, teachers, clinicians and researchers, and have lots of experience helping people develop skills in mindfulness, self-compassion and compassion for others.
As part of the course, you will receive handouts and MP3 files of experiential exercises.
Date and Time
King's College London (Waterloo Campus)
150 Stamford Street