Conference - Developing Future Cumbria 9 October 2015
Friday, 9 October 2015 from 09:00 to 16:40 (BST)
Developing Future Cumbria
An inspirational development day for business leaders, HR and learning professionals and individuals preparing for the changes coming to Cumbria.
We are working with our Cumbrian Partner Institutes to deliver a First Class Conference.
The learning outcomes are that when you leave the event you will:
- Be aware of how the future skills market may affect you and your respective organisation;
- You come away with tools and ideas of how you and your business can be prepared for the waves of new jobs and skills shortages in Cumbria.
Over the next ten years an estimated 10,000 new jobs will be created in Cumbria through civil and defence nuclear projects in West Cumbria and 500 jobs at GSK Ulverston. Some of the people to do these jobs will come from Cumbria and others will come from other parts of Britain and across the world; a large number of people will move into Cumbria either permanently or temporarily for the lifetime of the projects.
This will lead to greater demand for support services, housing, education and medical services, with the creation of further jobs and new opportunities for businesses and individuals. These changes will have implications for employers, employees and residents in Cumbria.
The purpose of our conference is raise awareness of the coming changes and to provide a forum for business leaders and professionals to debate the implications and what they should be doing to prepare their organisations for change.
This Conference has been developed in Partnership with representatives from the CIPD, Cumbria Coaching Network, Institute of Marketing and Chartered Management Institute and has been sponsored by the CIPD, Baines Wilson, North East Sales and Marketing Academy, and Six Degrees Recruitment - we are truly grateful to all their support.
9.00 Coffee and Networking
9.30 Introduction and Welcome facilitated by Bob Keegan
9.40 Keynote 1: The Job Scene and Skills Shortages Predicted in Cumbria: Mike Smith 0BE GEN2 Managing Director
10.10 What does this mean for me and my organisation?
10.25 Keynote 2: Building Cumbria’s People Capability; Insights of Lessons Learned From Scotland : Dr John McGurk, Head of Scotland CIPD
11.00 Coffee and Networking
11.15 Workshops; your Choice From:
- Engaging Employees: Mairi Probin, Employee Engagement Specialist
- Driving a High Performance Culture: Dave Watson COO & David Nicholson Head of HR, James Cropper plc
- Identifying hidden talent:Julia Cater, Director, People Decisions
- Influencing in Your Organisation:Beth Curl, Hyproformance
12.30 Lunch and Networking
13.40 Workshops; your Choice From:
- Managing Change: Natalie Gordon, Change Management Consultant
- Building Resilience: Ian Pettigrew, Kingfisher Coaching
- Coaching Skills to Develop Others: Simon Whalley (Bluetree Development) and Cress Allwood (Specialist in Coaching and Leadership)
- Developing an Early Talent Pipeline:Stephen Stewart and Sarah Hart, GSK
14.30 Workshops; your Choice From:
- Leadership and Tango : Sue Cox, Learning and Development Consultant
- Question Time : Professor Peck, Cumbria University; Allan Wilson Cumbria LEP; Suzanne Chilvers, Springboard; Chris Nattress, Lakes College, West Cumbria;
- Collaboration and Leadership for Sustainability: Dr David Murphy, University of Cumbria
- Who does your company’s marketing and are they up to the job?Veronica Swindle, Nesma
15.30 Tea and Networking
15.45 Keynote 3: Driving Economic Improvement through Skills: Andrew Hodgson CEO SMD Ltd and Vice-Chair of North East LEP
16.15 Next Actions facilitated by Bob Keegan
16.30 Summary and closing address
Early bird Rates NOW closed
Member: (CIPD, CCNet, CIM, CMI) £45 + VAT + booking fee = £57.52
Non- Member: £60+ VAT + booking fee = £76.51
Member means member of CIPD, CCNet, CIM, CMI
Member: £40 inc vat booking fee = £42.75
After 29 September the rates will be
Member: (CIPD, CCNet, CIM, CMI) £55+ VAT + booking fee= £70.18
Non-Member: £70+VAT + booking fee = £89.17
Please note that lunch and refreshments are included.
When & Where
CIPD Cumbria Branch
The CIPD Cumbria Branch provides opportunities for its 550 members to network with local HR and L&D professionals, to continue with their professional development and remain up to date with HR issues. There is an active programme of events through the year for further details just click on the event you are interested in and you can then book your place online.
The branch committee look forward to seeing you at our events and if you would like any further information please contact the Branch Vice Chair, Philippa Hardy on email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 07776 403097.
The Cumbria Branch is part of the CIPD Northern Area Partnership who hold an annual Conference in June every year. For details and to book your place visit the NAP page