Actions and Detail Panel
CONFERENCE: 'Settler Colonialism in Palestine'
Sat 13 August 2016, 10:00 – 18:00 BST
The keynote speakers at this one day conference on settler colonialism in Palestine include Omar Barghouti, Ilan Pappé, Ben White and Ruba Salih. Updates will be posted on the SPSC website and emailed to registrants.
BDS is how we exert pressure on Israel to help bring an end to the nightmare in Palestine that the UK launched a century ago. The conference on Settler Colonialism in Palestine examines what we are opposing: the origins, aims and deadly dynamic of the colonisation project ongoing in Israel/Palestine.
The conference is part of a series of SPSC coordinated activities during the international Edinburgh Festival in August 2016. These activites build on several years of cultural boycott campaigning in Scotland.
- Open Letter to Edinburgh International Festival and Festival Fringe: Keep your Festivals Apartheid Free! Do not whitewash Israel’s crimes, PACBI, 8 March 2016
The conference is endorsed by The Palestinian Campaign for the Academic and Cultural Boycott of Israel (PACBI).
Omar Barghouti is an independent researcher, commentator and activist committed to upholding international law and universal human rights. He is a founding member of the Palestinian Campaign for the Academic and Cultural Boycott of Israel (PACBI) and of the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) campaign against Israel; and Al-Shabaka Policy Advisor. Omar is currently under a travel ban imposed by Israel - he will join the conference by video.
- Interview With BDS Co-Founder Omar Barghouti: Banned by Israel From Traveling, Threatened With Worse, 13 May 2016
- Knesset anti-BDS meeting reveals Israeli fear of isolation, 7 January 2016
- BDS: Discussing Difficult Issues in a Fast-Growing Movement, 14 June 2016
Ruba Salih, SOAS University of London, Centre for Gender Studies; Member of London Middle East Institute (LMEI), Centre for Migration and Diaspora Studies and Centre for Palestine Studies (CPS)
- Palestinian refugees: homes in exile, 18 August 2014
- Academic Freedom, Ethics, and Responsibility: The Silencing and Censoring of Palestine in Western Liberal Academia, 19 May 2015
- Palestinian Refugee Women's Memories of Trauma
Ilan Pappe is an Israeli historian and socialist activist. He is a professor with the College of Social Sciences and International Studies at the University of Exeter, director of the university's European Centre for Palestine Studies, and co-director of the Exeter Centre for Ethno-Political Studies.
- Destruction of al-Aqsa is no conspiracy theory, 10 November 2015
- Israel Is the Last Remaining, Active Settler-Colonialist Project, 5 May 2016
- Shtetl Colonialism, 23 February 2013
Ben White is a writer, journalist, researcher, and activist, specialising in Palestine/Israel. He has been visiting the region since 2003 and his articles have been published in Al Jazeera, Middle East Monitor, The Guardian’s Comment is free, Electronic Intifada, New Statesman, Salon, Christian Science Monitor, Middle East Eye, The National, and others.
- Nakba Day: A ‘clear challenge’ to Israeli establishment, 15 May 2016
- What Zionism has meant for Palestinians, 29 April 2016
- Equality for Palestinians? Israel won't have it, 3 February 2012