Actions and Detail Panel
Conservation without Frontiers: North West Ulster
Wed, 7 Jun 2017, 20:00 – Sat, 10 Jun 2017, 15:00 BST
The UAHS and IGS Cross-Border Summer School is back for 2017!
Once again, this special event brings together students, experts and enthusiasts to explore, discuss, debate and enjoy issues relating to our shared Irish heritage in the context of Derry City & Strabane and Donegal. The event will focus on conservation and heritage led regeneration in the built environment of North West Ulster.
There will be many opportunities to visit and engage with the history and heritage of the area through talks, site visits to vernacular and civic buildings of architectural interest, demonstrations of traditional building skills and open discussions.
Speakers include: Dr. Brian Lacey, Paddy Matthews, Dr. Andrew McClelland, Dr. Edward McParland, Dr. Fidelma Mullane, Ronan O' Donnell, Dr. Barry O'Reilly Dr. Greg Stevenson and Prof. Alistair Rowan.
7th June – Letterkenny
• Launch of ‘In Search of the Donegal Vernacular Cottage’ exhibition in Donegal County Museum.
8th June – Derry City
• A series of talks in the Guildhall exploring the historic development of Derry City and examples of contemporary heritage projects.
• Walking tours of Derry City taking in the walls, conservation success stories and future developments
• Dinner and an evening event in an historic Derry building
9th June – Donegal
• Tour of St Aengus Church, Burt
• Tour of vernacular buildings in Donegal
• Traditional building skills demonstrations
• Picnic Lunch in Fort Stewart
• Talks in Ramelton on placemaking and vernacular architecture
• Walking tour of Ramelton
• Dinner and quiz in Conway's Bar
10th June – Strabane
• Tour of Holy Hill House
• Tour of Sion Mills Stables
• Viewing of Student Design Competition entries and presentation of awards.
• Conclusion with celebratory lunch
In addition to access to all the talks and tours, tickets cover all meals and transportation to and from venues each day.
The Director of the Summer School is Kevin V. Mulligan, author of The Buildings of Ireland - South Ulster (2013) and the Summer School is kindly supported by Donegal County Council and The Heritage Council under the County Donegal Heritage Plan and by Derry City & Strabane District Council.
* Please note that the programme is subject to change.
If you wish to pay in Euro please visit: https://uahs-igs-summerschool-2017-euro.eventbrite.co.uk
Date and Time
Derry City, Donegal & Strabane