Actions and Detail Panel
Core Ballet Mondays | 8 Week Course at SPACeHoxton
Mon, 3 Apr 2017, 19:30 – Mon, 24 Apr 2017, 20:30 BST
This 8 week general level course is open to adults with some dance experience in ballet, contemporary or any related style.
Core Ballet contemporary ballet class
This 8 week course is for adult dancers and aerialists who want to unlock core elements of flexibility, strength and coordination to achieve beautiful lines in dance, aerial and circus classes and performances. Using Ballet based exercises for control and conditioning, plus simple choreography to great music, this course will help you put your full range of movement into action in contemporary ballet choreography.
Many beautiful aerial and dance positions are only possible once you have unlocked the full potential of your flexibility. In the course you will work on:
- Hip mobility in parallel and turn out
- Spine mobility through thoracic and lumbar and how to use your core to protect your lower back
- Back bends and port de bras emphasising both lumbar and thoracic spine flexibility
- Balance and hip/knee alignment on one leg in parallel and turnout
- Glute and hamstring strength for alignment and hox positions
- Using your feet and extending your knees for beautiful leg lines
- Overall strength and control in major positions and movements including arabesque/back catch, retire/pirouette position, attitude derriere, a la seconde and devant leg mount/Y stand
- Coordination and flow of movement
- Performance qualities including eye focus, energy, and engagement
- Enjoyment and positive motivation to expand your physical and creative potential
Bring: Towel, yoga mat, kneepads (if available, or extra towel if not), foam roller (if available), water bottle, comfortable layers you can sweat and stretch in
If you have any pre-existing injuries, please inform the tutor before the start of class.
Course Time and Dates: This course runs for 8 weeks on Mondays from 7.30pm - 8.30pm NOT including Bank Holidays
Monday 3rd April
Monday 10th April
BANK HOLIDAY 17th April NO CLASS
Monday 24th April
BANK HOLIDAY 1st MAY NO CLASS
Monday 8th May
Monday 15th May
Monday 22nd May
BANK HOLIDAY 29th May NO CLASS
Monday 5th June
Last day: Monday 12th June
To get the most out of the course, participants are advised to attend every session. Please advise the course leader if there will be any planned absences for any course dates.
The course fee covers the whole 8 week course from 3rd April to 12th June (No Classes on Bank Holidays). No refunds or transfers are available except in excpetional medical circumstances.
Briar is a dancer and choreographer who trained in ballet in Australia at the National Theatre, before embarking on a career as a performer in dance, opera and circus. As a late starter herself, Briar loves working with adult dancers who need a confidence boost to tackle the infinitely exciting challenges of ballet and aerial training.
Ophelie is a personal trainer and body confidence coach who loves to play with fire! She trained in gymnastics as a child before running away to join the circus as a teenager. Now she splits her time between the gym and the aerial rig, deftly manouveuring her way around any apparatus!