Creating an online reading list for your module
Online reading lists are an excellent way to ensure that students can easily access all of their module reading materials by providing:
- Real time information on the availability of Library books
- One-click access to e-books, e-journal articles and online content
- Downloadable chapters scanned from print books.
Teaching staff who create their own lists value the features offered by a web-based tool:
- Flexibility - great for collaborative teaching, and adding resources as a module progresses
- Quick to review - assess the availability of readings with just one click
- Efficiency - less duplication of information with direct links to lists from MMS and Moodle
- Engagement - better insight into how students use the list: what they're clicking on (and what they're not).
This hands-on session will walk you through the key steps:
- Setting up an online list and what can make for a more effective list
- Adding items (books, e-journal articles, webpages etc.)
- Requesting digitisations (scanned readings) – plus copyright considerations for this.
Who can attend?
Our Eventbrite sessions are open only to staff and matriculated students at the University of St Andrews. Unfortunately, we are not able to open sessions to members of the public or students from other institutions.
This session is for members of staff who would like to learn more about creating and using online reading lists. Although these sessions are primarily intended for teaching staff, support staff in Schools may also find them useful.
Do I need to book a place?
Yes. Places are limited to 8 attendees per session. Click the 'Register' button above to sign up for a place at this session. Please use your University email address.
What if the session is fully booked?
You can still register for a place on the waiting list. If someone else cancels, we'll contact you to offer you a place using the email address you gave us when you signed up.
I can't attend this session. Are there are more?
Yes. We're running regular sessions throughout the year. Check our profile page for dates and more information. If you can't attend any of the advertised sessions, please get in touch to arrange a time and venue that suits you.