Actions and Detail Panel
CUSTOMER/USER RESEARCH METHODS & PRACTICE - UX TRAINING
Tue 5 September 2017, 09:30 – 17:30 BST
About the course
An intensive introduction on how to conduct valid and effective research on your customers/users/audiences so you can use the insight gained to:
- Set strategy
- Input into user models such as personas, mental models
- Ultimately produce products and services that drive the customer behaviour you require
Have you been at the sharp end of making decisions based on assumption or hunches? Or worse still, making the wrong decisions based on poor or inappropriate research? Have you conducted expensive focus groups and at the end thought ‘so what?’ Are you bombarding your poor customers with surveys that never seem to deliver what you need? If so this course is for you.
This course is equally for you if you want to learn how to decide the best way to spend your time and resources to get the maximum insight to feed into your UX strategy. Doing research is important, but doing the right research is more important still.
You will learn how to plan a research programme (for you, your teams or 3rd parties to execute) and how to spot and reject bogus research…It's fun, it's interactive, you will meet interesting people to exchange ideas and experiences with, you will practice the methods and go back to your desk armed with weapons to improve the insight you have about your customers.
What will you learn?
- The importance of research to customer/User Experience
- The essential elements of valid behavioural research
- When to do qualitative vs quantitative research
- Contextual and longitudinal research techniques (e.g. contextual inquiry, mobile ethnography, diary studies)
- How to plan and conduct effective interviews
- How to plan and conduct effective surveys
- When to use focus groups, and when not to
- Introduction to usability testing (principles of good practice)
- Other research methods to consider
- How to plan a research programme
- How to analyse qualitative data effectively – principles and practice
- How to exploit the insight gained through research
After completing the training, participants will be able to:
- Describe and discuss the benefits of customer research
- Differentiate between good and bad research techniques
- Be able to specify (and potentially deliver) appropriate research to supply real and actionable customer insight leading to improvements in customer experience
- Draw upon practical experience gained to deliver effective observations, interviews, surveys and analysis
- Be able to utilise qualitative data to inform strategy and design decisions
- Pastries on arrival
- Hot & cold refreshments
- Fresh fruit
- Course materials
- Certificate of completion
About the trainer
Jon Dodd - CEO and Co-Founder
In the late 90s Jon escaped the cosy confines of academia where he researched (amongst other things) how you and your brain judge attractiveness, discern the shapes of shampoo bottles, and make decisions when shown visual illusions (he can also tell you a thing or two about how faces indicate age, gender and trustworthiness and why caricatures work so well).
In 1999 Jon co-founded Bunnyfoot Ltd, the leading usability and user centred design consultancy (he remains the CEO), and more recently Think Eyetracking - a consultancy which provides cutting edge market research and software for optimising the performance of all visual media.
He likes to keep hands on where possible (recent clients include Boden, Microsoft and Nectar) but is also in demand for national and international conferences and training. Jon is currently writing a book on 'the psychological and visual basis of customer decision making' and needless to say he is searching for a more punchy title – suggestions?