Help us unite and bike against cancer to fund a cure for Charley!
Thank you for visiting our Cycle for Charley event. You may be here because you know Charley well, you know her wife Jess, Charley's family or you are a friend of a friend. We have to thank you for helping us fund a cure for Charley! Please spread the word, join our ride and help us kick cancer's butt!
The cycle for Charley bike ride starts at The Royal Marsden Hospital and is 60.37 miles long. The ride will take you through London, the lanes of Surrey and Sussex, taking in the climbs of the North and South Downs. This is followed by a swift decent into Brighton and will end up at Big Beach, Hove lagoon (venue kindly donated to us). The bike ride will conclude in a gathering with nibbles, drinks, live music and a raffle to celebrate the rider's achievement. Please invite friends along to the Big beach afterparty event which will start at 4pm, even if they did not take part in the sponsored ride to help us party and raise funds!
The Royal Marsden; Our start point
The Royal Marsden hospital is a centre of excellence for cancer sufferers and is where Charley has been receiving some of her treatment since she started her battle with cancer. This is also where she will commence her immunotherapy treatment when we are able to raise the 100k treatment cost, so a poignant place to start our journey and support Charley on her fight to survive.
Minimum donation fee
We are asking for a minimum donation fee of £50.00 to participate in this event. You can pay this fee straight into Charley's go fund me page below. Please use the hashtag #Cycle4Charley and your name so that we can cross reference registration with your payment. Once you have registered please make immediate payment.
We also really need you to push for sponsorship. You can do this two ways, either by emailing Cycle4charley@outlook.com to request the sponsorship form and liaising with Megan Kennedy. Alternatively you can ask people to sponsor you directly on Charley's go fund me page (please see link above). Please ask sponsors to write who they are sponsoring using the hashtag #Cycle4Charley so that we can track our fundraising event.
Route-Map my ride
Please find the route on the below link.
Check out this map on MapMyRide: 60.37 mi Cycle4Charley
Distance: 60.37 miles
We would like to encourage riders to create a map my ride acccount and download the app: mapmyride on here you will be able to search cycle4charley and find our route. This will give you precise details and directions. Alternatively there will be a lead and back marker cyclist to support participants.
There will be 2 rest points throughout the ride where refreshments and loo's will be available. However we encourage you to have a good breakfast and bring plenty of your own snacks and water for the ride.
**Please note that due to our ride coinciding with another bike ride event we are unable to use the sea front as a route and we would like to ask that you respectfully keep to the planned route that has been approved by the council and highway agencies*
When you register and pay for this event you will receive a free T-shirt with our logo and race pack via email including all the information you will need for the day. You can pick your T-shirt up at the registration desk on the day with a choice of race vest or T-shirt.
Small-size 8-10 women
Medium-size 12-14 women/small men's
Large-size 14-16 women/medium men's
Extra large men's/women's
Finally all you need to do is;
- Pay £50.00 donation fee to go fund me site
- Spread the word and get sponsored on go fund me site
- Wait to receive your race pack email which will include a sponsorship form and training plan/download the mapmyride app
- Join us on the day for a 10.00am meet ready for 10.30am start
- Bring £2.00 on the day for insurance
- Get people to come and cheer you on at the finish line and join us to celebrate
Have fun and help fund a cure for Charley!!!
Contact the organiser
If you need more information or any further details please contact Megan Kennedy.
If you would like a copy of our logo or poster to generate sponsorship please email as this is readily available.
If you haven't read Charley's story yet and would like to hear more about her fight to survive please visit;
https://cure4charley.com/ Please use our #C4C hashtag to get this website viral!
Thank you so much for your support
This event has personal liability insurance for the organisers which also covers volunteers and lead cyclists. You will not be covered for accidents, damage, loss, or theft. This event does not cover participants under third party insurance. We advise you insure yourself for this event.
Please can we ask for a £2.00 donation given in on the day to cover insurance costs for the organisers, without this donation the event would not be possible so thank you in advance. This will be payable at the registration desk on the morning of the event.
There will be two lead qualified First aid staff at the event;
Charlotte Young-Bike Ride Lead First aid staff
Bruce Aitken-Support Minibus Lead First aid staff
Additional first aid staff;
- Emma Turner
- Adam kipling
- Grant Lawrence
- Andrew Ibbott
- Megan Kennedy
By registering to this event you agree to the below disclaimer:
Terms and Conditions & Data Protection Statement
1. The Cycle for Charley Bike Ride is organised by Megan Kennedy and volunteers on behalf of Charley Ashton.
2. This is a fundraising event and all entrants are expected to raise funds for the Cure4charley fund.
3. Cyclists must observe the Highway Code at all times, and in particular, they should ride in single file and not in large groups.
4. Cyclists must be over the age of 16.
5. Cyclists should ensure that their bicycles are in a roadworthy condition.
6. Cyclists should appreciate that cycling can be very strenuous and should be fully aware of their capabilities. Cyclists shall make sure that their health is in a condition that allows him/her to take part in this event, and consult a doctor if necessary. Participation will be at the participant's own risk. You are advised to take out your own insurance for this event.
7. Respect the countryside and leave it tidy.
8. By taking part, all participants, volunteers and spectators confirm that they are happy to be in any photos or video footage that may be used to publicise the event in marketing materials that will be available to the general public.
9. Organisers reserve the right not to allow a cyclist to participate for various reasons, not limited to: late registration, unsuitable clothing/footwear, unsafe cycling equipment, inappropriate behaviour, unsuitable fitness levels, health issues.
10. Any cyclist withdrawing from the event either before or during the ride must notify the organisers. There will not be a refund of your minimum donation fee even if you cannot participate.
11. All cyclists are encouraged to finish by 1700 hrs
12. The Organisers reserve the right to amend, postpone or cancel the event at any time. Please note that the entry fee is non-refundable.
13. All cyclists MUST wear a helmet and should NOT use ipods, musical devices or telephones while riding.
14. Cyclists should wear bright clothing, suitable foot attire.
15. By participating in the event this does not confer any right (by implication or otherwise) on the participant to use, alter, copy or otherwise deal with any of the symbols, trademarks. logos and/or intellectual property of the event.
17. These terms and conditions are subject to English law and jurisdiction
Disclaimer: By participating in this event you accept these terms and conditions of entry and acknowledge that Megan Kennedy has no responsibility or liability for any loss or damage to your belongings. You also acknowledge and accept that Megan Kennedy will not be liable for death or personal injury.
Data protection statement:
By submitting your entry you agree to us recording your details on our database, so we can provide you with the best possible support every time you contact us.
We may contact you from time to time by email, text or post to keep you up to date with how we can support you and how you can get involved with our team. Your details will be kept securely and only shared with the team or partners who work on our behalf or with us. We never sell or swap your details with any third parties.