Actions and Detail Panel
D2N2 LEP Annual Conference 2016
Tue 26 July 2016, 09:00 – 11:00 BST
A UK financial services pioneer and a member of the world’s largest car manufacturer’s top team will be guest speakers, at the D2N2 Local Enterprise Partnership’s 2016 Annual Conference and AGM.
The free business event will be held from 9am to 11am on Tuesday July 26 (2016) at the Vision West Nottinghamshire College main campus, off Derby Rd, Mansfield (NG18 5BH). Parking is available on-site.
Up to 180 people are expected to attend the Annual Conference held by D2N2. The private-sector led partnership of business, local authorities, skills and training providers, community groups and social enterprises, and other organisations promotes economic growth and jobs creation across Derby, Derbyshire, Nottingham and Nottinghamshire.
Senior representatives from a wide range of businesses, of all sizes, and from local authorities, education providers, community organisations and others working in the D2N2 area and beyond are set to attend.
Guest speakers at this year’s event will include:
- Sir John Peace – Sir John is Chair of the Supervisory Board overseeing the Midlands Engine initiative. He is currently Chairman of Standard Chartered plc and Burberry plc; and was formerly Chairman of Experian plc, which he co-founded, and which has its headquarters in Nottingham. Sir John was appointed Lord-Lieutenant of Nottinghamshire (his home county) in July 2012. He was knighted in 2011 for services to business and the voluntary sector.
- Tony Walker – The Deputy Managing Director of Toyota Manufacturing (UK) Ltd and MD of Toyota Motor Europe’s London Office has worked for the world’s largest car manufacturer for more than 25 years.
As one of the first employees hired when Toyota set-up its UK base – joining as Toyota Manufacturing (UK) Ltd’s Head of Human Resources in 1990 – he has played a pivotal role in shaping the UK arm of the Japanese company, which has its main base at Burnaston in Derbyshire.
Tony is a Vice-President of the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT), and Chair of the Automotive Council’s Business Environment and Skills Group. He was the founding Chairman of the Lowland Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire Local Nature Partnership, which receives D2N2 LEP support.
In 2015 Tony was awarded an Honorary Doctorate from the University of Derby and was also made a Deputy Lieutenant of Derbyshire.
In addition, delegates at the 2016 Annual Conference will hear from D2N2 Chairman Peter Richardson on the Local Enterprise Partnership’s successes over the last year and its future ambitions.
- Dame Asha Khemka – Principal and Chief Executive of the West Nottinghamshire College Group since 2006, and a D2N2 LEP Board Member – will also tell the audience about the College’s ambitions; including for its £6.5m ‘Vision University Centre’ (construction of which is pictured above, alongside D2N2's David Ralph and Dame Asha Khemka), currently taking shape on-site and due to open to its first students this September (2016).
The new facility promoting higher and vocational skills is receiving £2.6m from D2N2.
The agenda for the Annual Conference will be as follows:
- 9am to 9.30am - Registration and a light breakfast, and opportunity for networking
- 9.30am to 9.35am - Welcome from D2N2 Local Enterprise Partnership Chief Executive David Ralph
- 9.35am to 9.40am – ‘D2N2 Annual Review: A short film’
- 9.40am to 10am – Presentation by D2N2 Chairman Peter Richardson on the Local Enterprise Partnership’s year and its future plans.
- 10am to 10.10am – Dame Asha Khemka, Principal and Chief Executive of the West Nottinghamshire College Group, on its new £6.5m ‘Vision University Centre’, and developing D2N2 area skills and training
- 10.10am to 10.30am – Guest speaker – Sir John Peace; Chair of the Supervisory Board overseeing the Midlands Engine initiative, former Chairman of Experian, current Chair of Standard Chartered Plc and the Burberry Group plc, and Lord-Lieutenant of Nottinghamshire
- 10.30am to 10.50am – Guest speaker – Tony Walker, Deputy Managing Director of Toyota Manufacturing UK and MD of Toyota Motor Europe, London Office
- 10.50am to 11am – Closing remarks and thanks, with D2N2 Chief Executive David Ralph. There will be a further opportunity for delegates to network after 11am and for any media interviews.