Daniel Porot on making a radical career change while limiting your risks
Thursday, 7 March 2013 from 18:30 to 19:45 (GMT)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
This event is now over but the recording (including Daniel's live drawings) and resource pack are available from Sensible Media's download store.
Daniel Porot, one of the world's leading experts in the areas of career management and job-hunting, examines innovative strategies for potential career changers to explore different futures while minimising their risks.
This webinar is co-produced by the INSEAD Alumni Career Service and Sensible Media Ltd.
Many people view a change of career - especially a change to a different role or industry – as too difficult and too risky. In this webinar Daniel Porot, one of the world’s leading career strategists, shows that this need not be the case provided you adapt your job-hunting approach and understand the unique “plus” which career changers can offer new employers.
Those contemplating or attempting to change their career face a cluster of obstacles including:
- Difficulty in persuading employers your skills will transfer
- Unfamiliarity with the “way things work” in a new industry
- Competition from “clone candidates” whose CVs appeal more to employers
- Lack of a network in the field you are targeting
- Difficulties managing the stress associated with managing radical changes.
Faced with such hurdles many abandon hope of a genuinely fulfilling career. This is a mistake. As Daniel Porot shows, with the right methodology and good “career risk management” it is possible both to plot a course to a new career AND to make a clear-headed decision about whether to make the change.
In this webinar Daniel Porot will explain the career-change methodology that he has developed to allow career changers to:
- Get round employer’s fear of taking a risk
- Focus on the avenues and employers which actually work for career changers (and avoid frustration with those that don’t)
- Take a level-headed “GO / NO GO” career change decision based on your particular situation.
In particular the webinar will cover:
- How to “validate” possible future roles to make sure they offer a viable and fulfilling future for you
- How to identify which employers and individuals to target
- The unique “plus” that career changers offer compared to clone candidates
- The non-traditional job search methods that work for career change
- When to enforce a “no return strategy”
- How to make the GO/NO-GO decision
All registering for the webinar will be asked to fill in an online survey about their career direction and we will draw on participant experiences in the session. Everyone who registers will be sent a session recording and a Q&A document detailing how particular career change risks can be managed and mitigated.
What you get
All participants receive:
- Access to the webinar including a chance to put questions to Daniel live
- Video recording for download after the event
- Audio podcast (for Iphone/Android/MP3 player) for download
- Access to bonus materials resource pack including:
- Daniel’s 2-page pdf briefing on managing career change risk
- Q&A on how particular career change risks can be managed and mitigated
- Presentation slides
- Daniel’s illustrations from the webinar.
This webinar is a co-production with the INSEAD alumni careers service and is conducted in partnership with the following universities and business schools:
- Cranfield School of Management
- Durham University Business School
- ESCP Europe
- Henley Business School
- IE Business School
- Imperial College Business School Alumni Relations
- Judge Business School
- London Business School Alumni Career Services
- Manchester Business School
- Nottingham University Business School
- Strathclyde Business School
- Trinity College Dublin
- University of Buckingham
- University of East London
- University of St.Gallen
- University of Stellenbosch Business School
Alumni from these schools qualify for a 50% discount. This webinar is offered on a refund-on-demand basis (if you don't like if for any reason we refund your ticket). To request a refund please email firstname.lastname@example.org either before or after the webinar.
About Daniel Porot
Daniel Porot is one the world’s leading pioneers in career design and job hunting. He graduated from INSEAD in 1966 and started his career with Exxon and Amoco, prior to launching his own business in 1971. Since then he and his staff have trained more than 77,000 individuals.
Daniel co-taught with Richard N. Bolles (author of What Color Is Your Parachute?) at Richard's annual two-week summer workshop for 20 years. This is how Richard N. Bolles describes Daniel in the foreword to Daniel’s book The PIE Method for Career Success:
Each year, it is great fun for me to watch as he dazzles the workshop participants with his drawing, his clever analogies, and his flashing wit. His mastery of the field is total and absolute. I know of no one in the world who is his equal....I always learn from him very time we are together.
More about Daniel and his work at http://www.porot.com/.
Sensible Media Ltd
Sensible Media publishes online career guidance for business schools around the world. You can find out more here.