St. Paul's Catholic School would like to invite 10 pupils and a supporting member of staff to attend a one hour writing workshop with 9 for 9 author, Daniel Whelan. The workshop includes a Keynote presentation featuring illustrations by the Children's Laureate, Chris Riddell. Your workshop covers:
- how a doodle in a notebook became a prize winning novel
- a section where we create a classful of new demons and give them personalities.
- the strange weather events in North Wales during the first few months of 1990 - a storm, a flood, and an earthquake - which inspired ‘The Box of Demons’.
- a look at the Bronze Age burial ground in Llandudno, the setting for one of the key events in the novel
- a reading from the book
- a section which encourages young readers and writers to look to their local area as the inspiration for fantastical stories
- a question and answer session
- a book signing and book sale
To cover the cost of Daniel's visit, we are asking all schools to contribute £50 for their students to attend the workshop. St. Paul's will invoice you directly for the ticket. Schools will be notified regarding the time of their workshop well in advance of the event. Schools may bring up to 10 pupils but will need to arrange their own transport, if required.