Actions and Detail Panel
Dentistry Research Showcase: Science in the Commercial World
Thu 11 May 2017, 09:00 – 14:00 BST
In April 2016, the doors of the new, purpose built, integrated Birmingham Dental Hospital and School of Dentistry opened, the first to be built in the UK for almost 40 years.
This innovative building has been designed to offer world-class research facilities and a modern learning environment for over 600 students and trainees.
You are invited to join researchers from the University of Birmingham to find out more about the cutting edge research taking place; hear about the industry collaborations driving innovation in the sector, tour the research facilities; network with leading individuals in the sector.
Professor Herb Sewell will deliver the key note speech: ‘Dental Research Reaches Beyond the Mouth’, alongside an overview of the unique Life Science capabilities in Birmingham and snapshots of the University's research in Dentistry and related areas.
09:00 - 09:30 Arrival and research posters sessions
09:30 - 10:40 Speeches:
- Professor Tim Softley, Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Research and Knowledge Transfer
- Professor David Adams, Head of the College of Medical and Dental Sciences
- Professor Iain Chapple, Head of the School of Dentistry
- Key Note: Professor Herb Sewell, Chairman of Nottingham University Hospitals Trust
10:40 - 11:00 Break and research posters sessions
11:00 - 12:00 Oral Sciences Research in Six
- Biomaterials - Dr Richard Shelton
- Phototherapy - Professor Will Palin
- Biofilms - Dr Sarah Kuehne
- Periodontal disease - Professor Iain Chapple
- Ultrasound research and nanoparticles - Nina Vyas
- Clinical trials - Professor Thomas Dietrich
12:00 - 13:00 Research laboratory tours
13:00 - 14:00 Lunch