Actions and Detail Panel
Desire Lines Hustings Event
Mon 6 March 2017, 18:00 – 20:00 GMT
The Next Desire Lines Gathering will take the form of a Local Election Hustings at which leading Edinburgh politicians and the audience will debate six questions. The event will be hosted by Morvern Cunningham, Leith Late and joined by Gordon Munro (Labour), Richard Lewis (SNP) and Alex Stanforth (Green Party).
Desire Lines Questions
1. Should there be a Tourist Levy in Edinburgh to support cultural facilities and events, and if so how would it work?
2. Should there be a Development Levy in Edinburgh to support improved public spaces and artworks, and if so how would it work?
3. Should funding for large and medium scale cultural organisations in Edinburgh be increased?
4. Should there be separate funding support for individual artists and smaller scale organisations, and who should administer and develop such a fund?
5. How can Edinburgh strengthen the links between good health and an active cultural life?
6. How can communities and neighbourhoods be supported to develop their own local cultural activities and facilities?
Edinburgh is recognised as one of the most successful cultural cities in the world – an extraordinary architectural heritage, vibrant festivals and events, significant venues and collections, and home to a diverse and inventive range of artists and innovators.
What makes a culturally successful city, and how does it remain so? Whose responsibility is it? Who measures the success? What are the challenges for those involved at the sharp end – the artists, companies, venues, and funders, who make things happen? How does it remain relevant to those who want to participate, to learn, or enjoy? Desire Lines is an evolving project, which aims to show our pride in the city and use the collective imagination of people who live in Edinburgh and of those who love it, to develop the city’s cultural direction for the better. We want to hear from you.
View the Desire Lines publication