Actions and Detail Panel
Developing a New Business - Three Day Course
Mon, 5 Dec 2016, 09:30 – Thu, 8 Dec 2016, 14:30 GMT
Our new three-day course which now encompasses the essential parts of Developing a Business i.e. Business Planning, Finance and Marketing. The dates for this course are 5th, 6th and 8 December 2016. Each day the course runs for 5 hours with a half-hour lunch break. Materials and course notes are provided
The course includes:
Day 1 Business Planning - A detailed introduction to the KEY element of any successful business - the business plan. It helps learners consider and understand the different elements of the business plan to understand why and what they need to consider for their new business venture and how to structure and present it in a practical and persuasive style. It aims to indicate what potential investors, funders or any other stakeholders are going to want to know about the business and to give learners the confidence in putting together a first draft plan.
- A business plan is first and foremost for you, the business owner; is a powerful tool for keeping you on track for success; and is essential if you are looking for business finance.
- Our course considers all the areas you need to address when you start trading. We encourage you to consider what you are seeking to achieve and what your goals are. To consider external influences and what you can offer. To define what are you selling and to whom. To review your competitors and how you are going to differentiate yourself from them. To consider if you need premises or people to work for you, and to consider what other requirements you may need to satisfy.
Day 2 – Finance – An in depth look at the financial aspects, information and measurements required for the business plan and for running a small business in its first year. Aspects such as personal survival budget, start-up costs, projected sale/income/revenue costs and cash flow.
- Your business will rely on the money you generate to pay the bills. A healthy cash flow is essential to your business success and sustainability.
- Our course attempts to take the fear out of the financial side of running a business. We encourage you to be realistic about your personal survival budget and to define realistic and healthy financial targets. We will define some of the basic financial terms you will need to know, help you overcome a fear of forecasting, require you to consider your expenses, and recognise any likely borrowing you may require. You will estimate your start-up costs, prepare a sales forecast and cash flow based on and appropriate pricing strategy for your customers. By the end of the course you will be directed to the HMRC website where you can access a wealth of further information.
Day 3 – Marketing – A guide to the broad and basic principles of Marketing. How do you assess the potential demand for your product/service? Where will it come from? Who will your customers be and why will they buy? What prices to charge? Where and how do you promote and advertise?
This course will cover established techniques of collecting and analysing information, and using it to support decisions and strategy. It will also demonstrate how to present this information in a structured, meaningful way within the business plan.
- Marketing involves understanding, anticipating and meeting customer wants and needs better than the competition, in the face of continuous change, usually at a profit.
- Our course asks you to put your customer at the centre of everything you do and stresses the importance of research, customer focus and effective promotion. We encourage you to develop your marketing mix, recognise the importance of a consistent proposition and to consider how to differentiate yourself from the competition.
Date and Time
Yorkshire in Business, William Street Business Centre
7A Lower Clark Street