This is free of charge CPD opportunity aimed at Developing Reasoning at Key Stage 2, open to teachers presently working at Key Stage 2 within primary schools in Northumberland, Tyne, Wear and County Durham.
The programme runs across 3 dates – you must be able to attend all dates:
- 6 March 2017
- 25 April 2017
- 23 May 2017
- Develop a greater understanding of algebraic reasoning and its development across Key Stage 2
- Appreciate how this builds on understanding from Key Stage 1 and supports transition to move formal algebra in Key Stage 3
- Consider how concrete or pictorial representations can be used to support algebraic reasoning and engage children with maths.
- In order to maximise the impact of the training, where possible we would like schools to send two delegates, one from Upper Key Stage 2 and one from Lower Key Stage 2, however this is not essential.
We are delighted to provide this opportunity free of charge, however as a funded programme, we are required to evidence and assess the impact of our programmes. In order to do this participants are required to:
- Attend all 3 dates within the programme
- Complete Pre and post programme evaluations
- Complete a gap task between the sessions and evidence through samples / sharing.
Failure to meet any of the programme requirements above, will result in a charge of £50 to your school.
The programme will be delivered by Pauline Braviner, Mathematics Consultant, and accredited professional development lead with the National Centre for Excellence in the Teaching of Mathematics (NCETM).
Feedback from previous cohorts:
“A really well structured course, great balance of ideas to use in classroom and theory”
“Good practical ‘ways in’ to approaching algebraic reasoning in the classroom”
“Extremely useful – lots of practical activities to use back in the classroom”
“Will definitely be trying out some approaches and using suggested documents to inform planning”