DEVELOPING POSITIVE ASSERTIVENESS
Developing Positive Assertiveness
Being assertive is being able to express yourself with confidence without having to resort to passive, aggressive or manipulative behaviour. By developing assertiveness and becoming aware of our own strengths and weaknesses, we can modify our behaviour for greater effectiveness in social and business interactions. There can be a fine line between being assertive and aggressive, understanding the difference can make all the difference to the outcome of situations.
“Being assertive is not hard and using simple techniques it can even be quite enjoyable and fulfilling.”
For anyone seeking to increase their own assertiveness it is helpful to understand the typical personality and motivation of excessively dominant people, who incidentally cause the most worry to non-assertive people. When most people talk about wanting to be more assertive, what they really mean is 'I'd like to be more able to resist the pressure and dominance of excessively dominant people.'
This 1 day course provides a step-by-step programme that teaches you
How to stand up for what you believe whilst respecting the rights
of others to do the same.
Who should attend?
This level 1 course is for anyone that needs to develop their assertiveness skills and improve communication with others. This session will provide guidance on how to become more assertive and build self-confidence, which in-turn will help delegates to achieve greater work effectiveness and productivity.
Delegates will receive
- 7 Guided learning hours (GLH)
- Personal coaching from an expert trainer
- Manual and support materials
- Guided role-playing
- Assertive behaviour and why it is important
- 3 basic behavioural styles
- Can behaviour change?
- Choosing assertive words carefully
- Body Language and signals
- Stop signs and green lights
- Sending assertive messages
- Enhancing communication
- Defining the problem
- Active listening
- Explain what assertiveness is and what it means for us and those around us
- Appreciate that everyone has rights as an individual and that you can stand by those rights
- Take a positive approach in communicating more effectively
- Improve their self-esteem
- Appreciate which words to use to get the most out of interactions with others
- Follow a set process for approaching situations in an assertive manner
This course is available as part of our scheduled courses
and onsite corporate training