Learn how Compassion Focused Therapy (CFT) can help you to improve your wellbeing – includes experiential mindfulness practices and information on the growing evidence base for this groundbreaking new form of therapy
Compassion Focused Therapy (CFT) is a cutting-edge practice that teaches people how to be kinder to themselves and others. Born out of the hugely influential techniques behind Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, CFT can help to decrease stress, and have a positive impact on your wellbeing and self-esteem.
During this full-day seminar, you’ll explore the rapidly developing evidence base for CFT, and learn how this pioneering form of therapy can help you to lead a happier life. The day mixes presentations with practical exercises, and is taught by Dr Chris Irons, a certified clinical psychologist and compassion focused therapist.
Whether you’re interested in learning about CFT for your personal life or job, or want to help others who are experiencing difficulties, the class will give you a thorough grounding in the science and application of this groundbreaking new form of therapy.
- An introduction to Compassion Focused Therapy (CFT)
- Why emotions can be so difficult to deal with – and why we often get stuck in ‘thinking-feeling’ loops
- An outline of our three major emotion systems, and why developing positive feelings associated with contentment, safeness and soothing can play a major role in managing distress and promoting wellbeing
- Different definitions of compassion – including the qualities and attributes of compassionate people
- Applying the skills of self-kindness to your life, work and relationships
- The science and theory behind CFT – how disciplines such as neuroscience, evolutionary theory and mindfulness have informed the development of Compassion Focused Therapy
- Practical exercises – a variety of compassion-based practices designed to help you develop your ‘compassionate mind’ during and after the class
More about your teacher…
Dr Chris Irons is a certified clinical psychologist, academic and compassion focused therapist. He’s one of the founding board members of the Compassionate Mind Foundation, a charitable organisation that aims to promote wellbeing through the scientific understanding and application of compassion. Chris is an accredited trainer and supervisor of Compassion Focused Therapy, and is currently writing two books on the subject. He is also co-director of Balanced Minds, which provides compassion focused psychological services in London.
Save This Event
When & Where
Welcome to Guardian masterclasses – a unique programme of learning embedded within one of the world's most forward-thinking media organisations.
Masterclasses offer a broad range of short and long courses across a variety of disciplines from creative writing, journalism, photography and design, film and digital media, music and cultural appreciation.
Harnessing the expertise and specialisms within the organisation, our courses are led by first class and award winning guardian professionals whilst also drawing on the skills and expertise of other leading figures at the forefront of the creative and digital industries.
The programme is aimed at anyone interested in personal or professional development whether that be refining your skills, focusing your ambition or simply broadening your mind and gaining inspiration.