Actions and Detail Panel
Discussing Democracy: What kind of constitution do we deserve?
Mon 30 November 2015, 17:15 – 19:30 GMT
An ESRC Knowledge Exchange Event
Britain’s political system is changing fast, but do you know it could affect you, your family, or your community? This evening aims to help people find out what’s happening and join the debate.
The changes include:
- Greater devolution to Scotland and Wales.
- Devolution to city regions with elected Mayors.
- A referendum on EU membership before 2017.
- English Votes for English Laws.
- A cut in the number of MPs and changes to constituency boundaries.
Key note speaker: Gavin Robinson MP (DUP, Belfast East), former Lord Mayor of Belfast, member of the LGA/ All Party Group Inquiry into Devolution and the Constitution.
Plus briefings on:
- Conostitutional Change in Context: Katie Ghose, Chief Executive, Electoral Reform Society
- Report from pilot Constitutional Conventions: Dr Alan Renwick, UCL Constitution Unit
- Building Public Engagement: research report tbc
Discussion and pitches:
- Question & Answer
- Contributions from young people working withe Leadership Unlocked
- Opportunity for people to pitch proposals for the constitution
- Response to pitches
Conclusion: What next?
- Comment / reflection from the panel
- Opportunities to influence constitutional measures
- Any other opportunities to follow-up issues raised
- Follow-up: what education activities / support needed for wider engagement in constitutional change?
This event is part of the ESRC Knowledge Exchange programme on the constitution and Parliament Week.