Dear Toastmasters and Interested Guests
As you may be aware, the Autumn Toastmaster contest season is about to start and Toastmasters will soon be polishing their speeches and impromptu speaking skills with the aim of winning the covetted titles of UK South Humorous Speech Champion and UK South Table Topics Champion.
Divisional contests are, in essence, the semi-finals for the UK South District. Division A contestants hail from Toastmaster clubs stretching across Berkshire, Hampshire, Surrey, Dorset and Somerset. Wessex Speakers are hosting Division A's Learning Conference (including the Humorous Speech and Table Topics contests on 16th October 2016 at the 2000 Centre, Hedge End, Southampton.
The event offers exciting development opportunities …
- Participants hone their speech skills,
- Attendees learn by watching high quality speakers
- Meeting planners/organisers develop teamwork and leadership skills
To attend and or help at our forthcoming Division Learning Conference, register here with details of:
- Your name and, if you are a Toastmaster, your club details. Guests are very welcome to join our audience.
- Whether you intend to compete at your club contest (sorry only club members can compete)
- Role of interest (see below):
TO JOIN THE ORGANISING COMMITTEE
- Chief Judge (1 per contest or 1 for both): Liaise with, train and brief judges prior to the event to ensure they are fully informed about the role and prepare a judge’s pack for each. On the say, briefs voting and tie-break Judges, oversees voting and counting processes and notifies Contest Chair of placements/disqualifications. Alerts HQ of placements after the contest.
- Sergeant at Arms x 2 required: Check requirements for equipment and props, source and test equipment (including trophies). On the day, ensures these are available and equipment is working; 2nd SAA manages leads Table Topics contestants to the holding area and brings them to the hall in the order drawn.
- Registration Officer: Main contact for members and guests who sign up to attend the contests, developing a list of confirmed attendees and preparing name badges.
- Media/Comms Officer: Contacting local press, radio, community sites and social media to advertise the events and preparing press packs. Sending out regular updates to members and guests to keep them informed of the programme. Welcoming and managing press on the day and issuing news releases after the event.
- Programme Manager: In charge of developing the programme for the day, making sure the timings work and briefing the Toastmaster and Contest Chair on the day.
- Financial Officer: Tracking costs and making sure receipts are collected and submitted to the AD for reimbursement.
TO HELP ON THE DAY
- Toastmaster: Making sure the contests start/finish on time, run smoothly and managing the
- Voting Judges (see Note1 below): 7 voting judges required
- Ballot counters x 3: Collect and count votes from Judges (twice), advise Chief Judge of placements.
- Timers x 2: One manages the stopwatch, and the other the signaling device and documentation. Advises Chief Judge of any disqualifications due to time over-runs.
- Meet and greet team: Set up welcome desk with registration list, badges, flyers. Welcome attendees and guests; assign members to look after guests.
- Set up team: Set up main hall, counting and holding areas with chairs, tables, lectern, banners, food, etc.
Note 1: At Division contests, we need an equal number of voting judges from each club in the area (2 from each) or a minimum of 7 judges. If you register as a judge and a fellow club member is placed as an Division A contestant, you will not be allowed to participate as a judge but may take another role.
Further information about Speech Contests:
- Speech Contest FAQs: www.toastmasters.org/speechcontestFAQ Speech Contest
- Tutorials www.toastmasters.org/speechcontestmodule Speech Contests Policy 6.0
- Rulebook: https://www.toastmasters.org/~/media/3117F77BBF4D430B8A403ECECDD5F99F.ashx
- Policies: www.toastmasters.org/Leadership-Central/Governing-Documents
Guests are most welcome as long as you register via Eventbrite. Please note, a nominal charge is being made to cover catering and equipment costs. For Toastmasters, once you have registered and paid, please confirm on the Wessex Speakers site at: http://toastmasterclub.org/view_agenda.php?t=35642. Club Contest Chairs should notify myself of winners as soon as a contest ends so that I can alert the Contest Chair. Contestants will not be required to pay.