Actions and Detail Panel
Doctors Represent Conference I Winter 2016
Fri, 4 Nov 2016, 19:00 – Sun, 6 Nov 2016, 16:00 GMT
The Inaugural Conference of Doctors Represent.
Seminars and Workshops include:
- The Structure and Politics of The British Medical Association
- Street campaigning in theory and Practice
- The history of the NHS
- How to write a motion and other core skills
- Trade Union Councils and The Trade Union Congress
- The Junior Doctors Dispute and where we go from here
Prospective speakers and workshop leaders include
- Dr Simon Forrest, Head of School for Health, Durham University
- Dr Stephen Watkins, BMA Council Member
- Mr Quinn Miller, Secretary of Midsomerset Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament
- Ms Emma Runswick, Chair of BMA Medical Student Conference
- Dr Martin Levy, President of Newcastle Trade Union Council
- Ms Ellen McCourt, Chair of BMA Junior Doctors Committee
- Dr Pete Campbell, Secretary of Northern Junior Doctors Committee and Executive member of BMA Junior Doctors Committee
- Dr Jack Saunders, Cultural History of the NHS Research Group, University of Warwick
Doctors Represent is a group of doctors and medical students who feel that the BMA should become more accountable and transparent for members. It aims to help grassroot and new members to make a difference to the BMA, and this conference is aimed at helping them develop the skills and knowledge so that they feel able to become more involved in the life of the union.
In addition to trying to get more people involved in the life of the BMA, our supporters tend to have a progressive and left wing approach to health care in the UK and devolved nations. We feel that the NHS is founded on very important principles. We feel it should be publicly funded, publicly provided, universal and free at the point of use. We feel the BMA should be actively campaigning to defend the NHS at this time.