Actions and Detail Panel
DPTP Online 2016: digital preservation for beginners
Mon, 13 Jun 2016, 09:00 – Fri, 21 Jul 2017, 17:00 BST
DPTP Online 2016 was launched June 2016 and is now open permanently. You can register anytime, and there is no time limit to the Course - you can take as long as you need to complete.
The Digital Preservation Training Programme (DPTP) is designed for all those working in institutional information management who are grappling with fundamental issues of digital preservation. It provides the skills, knowledge and confidence necessary for institutions to combine organisational and technological perspectives, and devise an appropriate response to the challenges that digital preservation needs present.
DPTP Online is an entry-level course aimed at complete beginners who wish to learn more about the field. The course is ideal for starters in all disciplines who want to know more about digital preservation, gain confidence, and feel enabled to start working with digital preservation. It contains all the content previously taught on the award-winning 2-day face-to-face Course DPTP: An Introduction to Digital Preservation, and more.
The course is a starting point. It passes on awareness of subjects that need to be investigated in more depth, so those attending can expect a good deal of further reading afterwards and practical follow-up training / experience on their own behalf.
What you'll learn
When you purchase a place on DPTP Online, you will gain access to 22 learning modules in three categories:
- Welcome to the Course
- Definitions of Digital Preservation, and disambiguation of terms
- Some fundamental facts about Digital Preservation
- Standards of Digital Preservation
- The Open Archival Information System (OAIS) Reference Model: The Broad View
- OAIS: Review of the functional entities
- Approaches to Digital Preservation
- Preservation Planning, and Tools that can help
- Defining and Understanding The User Community
- Legal Issues affecting Digital Preservation
- Risk Management and Risk Assessment
- Risks specific to Digital Preservation
- The Trusted Digital Repository Standard, and Audit Tools
- Self-Assessment Toolkits and their role in Strategic Planning
- OAIS: A detailed workflow for digital preservation
- What are File Formats?
- Tools for File Formats
- Metadata types, and their uses for digital preservation
- Storage configuration for Digital Preservation
- Cloud Storage for Digital Preservation
- Access Platforms: an overview of available technologies
- Available Digital Preservation Technologies: an overview
Doing the Course
DPTP Online comprises a mix of learning methods, quizzes, exercises, and forums.While we anticipate the Course may take around 3-5 days to complete, there is no time limit, and you can work on it in your own time. We have used the quizzes as teaching aids, and their outcome will not count towards a passing grade.
When you complete the Course, you can download a certificate of attendance. Thereafter DPTP Online course content will be available to you indefinitely.