Actions and Detail Panel
Dundee Service Jam 2016
Fri, 26 Feb 2016, 17:00 – Sun, 28 Feb 2016, 19:00 GMT
Dundee Service Jam returns to challenge you to commit just 48 hours of your life to designing with a difference!
The Global Service Jam movement began in 2011 and has grown ever since, with over 120 locations and nearly 3,000 people taking part around the world in 2014. Dundee participated for the first time three years ago and hosted the 9th largest jam in the world, with more attendees than either Los Angeles or New York, and was the biggest jam in Scotland, second to London in the UK.
The main aim of the weekend is to have fun in a creative way!
Weekends often provide a much needed break from the working week, so we advise you not to think of this as work. Instead envisage an action-packed design adventure. We will connect with a number of the global design jams during the weekend and by the end of the jam you will have the chance to present your design ideas to the world!
Everyone is welcome to join the Jam!
The Dundee Service Jam would like to welcome a diverse group of people (designers, makers, service experts, professors, business people, teachers, hackers, artists, illustrators, musicians, students, friends and family), to form teams with mixed skill sets and work together to create real-world prototypes which can make a little difference… or perhaps a big difference.
Your familiarity with design is not important, as you will be guided through the process by our facilitators throughout the weekend and we have created different ticket types - so simply choose the one that you identify with most.
Jammers will get to connect with a number of the other global design jams, take part in design skills workshops and games, listen to short talks by inspiring speakers, meet some exciting new faces and design a project to present to the world. The full details of the weekend programme are still being refined, but check our website for updates on speakers and workshops that will feature in the weekend.
You will get to work with some great mentors. Our design mentors comprise:
- Hayley Scanlan - Award winning fashion designer who has uniquely won Scottish Young Designer of the Year in both 2012 and 2014
- Gillian Easson - Director of Creative Dundee and member of the UNESCO City of Design team in Dundee.
- Jennifer Jones - Digital media trainer and facilitator and author of the Handbook on Digital Storytelling.
- Hazel White - Director of Open Change, a service design and creative facilitation company.
- Dylan Drummond - BAFTA winning film director and photographer, head of Son of the Sea Productions.
- Tara Wainwright - Design professional and the marketing and communications manager of V&A Dundee.
- Linsey McIntosh - Lecturer in Interior Environmental Design at DJCAD and freelance designer.
- Mike Press - Professor of Design Policy at DJCAD, and specialist in design management and service design.
We also have two enterprise mentors - who will be looking specifically at how ideas can be developed into commercial or social enterprises:
- Lynne Duffus - Broadcaster, interior designer & retailer and entrepreneur. Director of Lovely Things Ltd. Winner of three Silver Awards for comedy writing at the New York Radio Festivals.
- Jamie Shankland - Oil industry entrepreneur: designed and brought to the market product that is used by major energy companies throughout the world. Founder of Marble Boy clothing.
This year's jam is taking place in the Vision Building where you will find plenty of space to spread out and work as well as access to some of the Makerspace’s prototyping tools and equipment.
I'm sold! What do I need to bring?
Your ticket price includes... materials, pens, post-its, prototyping material, access to the facilities of Dundee Makerspace, use of one of the best working spaces in Dundee.... Food... Friday: Dinner | Saturday: Breakfast, fruit and snacks over lunch, dinner with wine and beer | Sunday: Breakfast, fruit and snacks over lunch - and throughout the jam soft and hot drinks.
However, we would ask you to bring:
•Your energy, passion and enthusiasm.
•You favourite mug. (We want you to feel at home)
•Things that you will want to use during the jam (laptop, camera, pens, materials, transport, sewing machines, musical instruments...).
Please note that this is a non-profit event and all ticket sales will go towards delivering this event.
Due to the administrative burden of processing refunds, please be aware that we are unable to offer refunds to those unable to attend once you have booked a ticket. However, we would be happy for you to pass your ticket on to a friend, just let us know in advance so that we can update the guest list.