Actions and Detail Panel
EDS2 Roadshow - Yorkshire and Humber
Fri 9 December 2016, 13:00 – 15:30 GMT
The purpose of these regional roadshows should be as follows:
- Raise the profile of EDS2 as a vehicle for change
- Identify the connections and links between EDS2 and various other diversity / equality initiatives including (but not limited to) the workforce race equality standard (WRES), the accessible information standard, the DH learning disabilities programme, the workforce disability equality standard and the sexual orientation standards work
- Share good and best practice in the use of EDS2 – including the EDS2 voluntary and community sector engagement guide
- Explore how EDS2 can be employed and utilise by organisations more effectively in order to influence organisational / cultural change
The target audience for the roadshows should be:
- Diversity and inclusion managers within provider trusts and CCGs
- Human Resource Directors and managers within provider trusts and CCGs
- Organisational development managers within provider trusts and CCGs
- Service managers and leads within provider trusts and CCGs
The roadshows will consist of a three hour session. The sessions will be divided into two parts and will take the form of a mini-hackathon. The first part will focus on what the challenges are with EDS2. It will look at the format and structure of EDS2 and critically de-construct it to see what its weaknesses are; what doesn’t work at all; what works a little; and (critically) what needs to change. The second part will focus on the positive aspects of EDS2. It will look at the format and structure of EDS2 and assess its strengths: what works well; why things work well; and what we need to more of.
Our proposal is that for the first session we will break the delegates up into four separate groups – one looking at / thinking about the structure of EDS2 as a model / framework; one looking at / thinking about the language of EDS2; one looking at / thinking about how well (or not) EDS2 links across or “talks to” other diversity initiatives in the NHS; and one looking at / thinking about EDS2 as a vehicle of change. Each of the four groups will be led / facilitated by a nominated person that we have invited. We will be inviting guests from the workforce race equality standard, learning disability and equalities and health inequalities teams.
The second session will break the delegates into three groups – but set them the following tasks: firstly, how can EDS2 be better promoted / publicised in order to make it more accessible?; secondly, how can EDS2 be better structured / formatted / presented in order to make it more user friendly?; and thirdly, how can EDS2 be used more effectively within organisations as a vehicle of change? Each group will be asked to propose 3 or 4 recommendations to the group that they can vote on using our in-house voting system.
A plenary session will capture the thoughts / feedback.
EDS 2 Roadshow
Yorkshire & Humber Regional E&D Meeting
9th December 2016
Venue: Employers, 2 Brewery Wharf, Kendell Street, Leeds LS10 1JR
13.00: Welcome, introductions and context setting –Chair, Lorraine Cameron
13:10 – 14:00: Session 1
The first session will break the delegates into two groups – to address two key questions:
1. How can EDS2 be better structured / formatted / presented in order to make it more user friendly? (Facilitator - Diane)
2. How can EDS2 be used more effectively within organisations as a vehicle of change? (Facilitator - Caroline)
(Each group will be asked to jot comments on sticky notes on the wall under key themes)
14:00 – 14:15: Feedback from the groups
14:15 – 14:30: EDS2 voluntary and community sector engagement guide, Jabeer Butt, Race Foundation
14:30 – 15:00: Session 2
The second session will then ask the two groups to address the following key question:
1. How can EDS2 be better promoted / publicised in order to make it more accessible?
(Diane & Caroline Facilitators)
(Each group will be asked to propose 3 or 4 recommendations & place them on sticky notes on the wall)
15:00 – 15:30: Feedback from the Groups & Voting on the Recommendations, Lorraine Cameron
1530 – Summary, Next Steps and Close - Lorraine Cameron