« Assessing levels of assurance of national electronic identity schemes » - A government-only workshop
22-23 November 2016 – Berlin – Germany
Site visit organized by the Bundesdrückerei
First practical experiences with BSI eIDAS integration
Following the one-year anniversary of the eIDAS Regulation coming into force, and building on the success of previous workshops, Secure Identity Alliance is pleased to announce its next workshop will take place on 22 and 23 November 2016 in Berlin. Save the date!
This free-to-attend workshop will bring together government decision makers, policy advisers, technical experts, and specially invited guests from across Europe to build a common understanding of “how” to assess the level of assurance of national electronic identification means, as per eIDAS regulations, to achieve a consensus between all EU member states.
The rules for the mutual recognition of electronic identification means between member states are built on an assessment of their Levels of Assurance (LoA). This assessment is essential for establishing trust among member states, to ease notifications and recognition, and to allow the continued development of digital services for citizens.
This assessment must be done at each of the four stages of the identity lifecycle*: enrolment, electronic identification means management, authentication, and management and organization. It measures the strength of the identification means, which can be a challenge due to the variety of processes employed in proving identity between different member states, the methods of verification, and the lack of standardized configurations and metrics.
Provisional agenda will be as follows:
- Member states’ individual presentation of their ID scheme, including initial practical experiences with eIDAS integration
- Presentation of the eIDAS regulation and the requirements specified by the regulation at different stages of the identity lifecycle
- Comparison of procedures in the different national ID lifecycles
- Workshop to explore building a common understanding and terms of reference in LoA evaluation
- Site visit organized by the Bundesdrückerei
- Demonstration by the BSI
*as defined by the eIDAS regulation