Actions and Detail Panel
[ELI5] Explain Like I'm 5: Space
Thu 2 June 2016, 18:00 – 21:00 BST
Albert Einstein - If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.
“Explain Like I’m 5” is our collaborative speaker series, where local developers, technologists, entrepreneurs, artists, performers, scientists, and business people take a concept that may be highly specific to their area of expertise or work, and break it down to a lay audience from right across the STEAM spectrum with a minimal expectation of prior knowledge.
This year we're trying something a little different; the invited speakers all have something vaguely to do with a common theme. This time, the theme is "Space". Free-for-all speakers are welcome to either stick to the same thing or do something completely unconnected (see what we did there?)
Speakers will be announced shortly!
The target audience is anyone and everyone who loves learning and expanding their horizons. No topic is off limits as long as you are confident that it can be delivered to a lay audience within the constraints of the format.
The event is in two parts; an invited and a free-for-all section, separated by a beer, soft drink, pizza and fresh fruit intermission.
The rules for both groups are the same:
- Speakers have a maximum of 7 minutes to speak on the subject of their choice, followed by a short open Q&A.
- No Slides! The use of Non-Projected Visual Aids is heavily encouraged, and projectors may be considered for live demonstrations.
- Before the event starts and during the break, presenters (invited or unplanned) are asked to put a 3-5 word synopsis of their topic on the blackboard along with their name.
- The Compère will decide what order presentations will be done, so be nice to him/her!
- Punishment for rule/time violators is at the discretion of the compère.
If you’ve got something you’d like to share, sign up for the "Speaker" ticket type or email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss it with the subject line “ELI5”
See you there!