San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
This course offers the minimum level of first aid certification recommended by the Health and Safety Executive. As a clinician, it is expected that you would know what to do in a medical emergency. With evidence continuing to show how quickly your skills deteriorate, you should be aware of the medical, legal and professional implications of getting it wrong.
It is a common complaint that traditional first aid training does not address the needs of the healthcare professional: this course encourages delegates to re-evaluate their emergent skills and knowledge and discuss their own experiences and concerns amongst their peers, based on actual scenarios and case studies.
Delegates receive training in a range of subjects, including:
- Legalities of first aid: duty and standard of care, professional obligation and scope of practice
- The primary survey: AcBCDE
- Basic life support: Resuscitation Council Guidelines 2005, adult and paediatric algorithims, AED usage
- Early recognition of acute coronary syndromes such as AMI, HCM, reference to sudden cardiac death etc
- Management of the unconscious casualty: GCS vs AVPU - emergent neurological assessment
- Management of trauma, medical and environmental scenarios: case studies and open forum
On completion of the course, delegates receive the nationally-recognised 'Emergency First Aid at Work' certificate, valid for three years.
What have previous delegates said about the course?
"Excellent course and venue... I have learnt more today than I have on any other emergency care course and have found some of the information a revelation. Thank you so much!"
"Given me confidence in first aid emergencies"
"Lively, enthusiastic and clear instruction"
When & Where
The British School of Osteopathy
The BSO is the oldest osteopathic institution in Europe. It is at the forefront of CPD education for osteopaths and welcomes participants from other professions. We pride ourselves on the quality and diversity of our CPD programme and the speakers who deliver our CPD; delegates consistently provide us with excellent feedback.
Our courses are designed so that participants can incorporate what they have learned directly into their daily practice. We use research evidence, peer-to-peer sharing, and practical experience to uphold standards and support the refreshment and extension of core skills.
Our vision is to provide a programme of CPD courses that are:
- High-quality, topical, evidence-based and provided by experts from a range of professional backgrounds
- Open to professionals in and outside the UK using a variety of formats including face-to-face and multimedia
- In line with the regulatory expectations for continuing professional development
- Informed by contemporary teaching approaches and include practical and experiential learning
- Informed by the feedback we receive from our participants
We would value your feedback and ideas for new CPD via CPD@bso.ac.uk or +44 (0)20 7089 5333.
Vice Principal (Research), British School of Osteopathy
Editor-in-Chief, The International Journal of Osteopathic Medicine
Dr Jerry Draper-Rodi
CPD Manager and Lecturer, British School of Osteopathy
Join our mailing list
Sign up to our mailing list to receive regular updates on our CPD and training opportunities direct to your inbox. We will not share your details with any third parties for marketing purposes, and you can unsubscribe at any time.