Adding to the debate on many client's wishes for signature structures, the talk will consider what makes a bridge into an engineering icon. Phil will illustrate and discuss examples of bridge structures from around the world and consider the implications for design, maintenance and longevity of a variety of structures.
- Are icons made or created?
- What makes an icon?
- Should we preserve them?
- What do we design them for?
- Should we replace them?
- Will these stand the test of time?
The speaker Phil Tindall is a senior Technical Director - Bridges for global consultant Arcadis. Phil has over 35 years’ experience of bridge and highway engineering, including construction of the Humber Bridge, the concept design of the award winning Te Wero Bridge in Auckland, NZ and the refurbishment of the historic Westminster Bridge.
- Refreshments provided in Shell Lounge (Ground Floor of the same building)
- Ample free parking outside the building
- CPD Certificate issued