Equality in a shifting landscape
Sales Have Ended
Sales Have Ended
This workshop is for primary and secondary school teachers, inclusion managers, pastoral support leaders, senior leaders and governors who care about equality and want to reduce all forms of prejudice-based bulling and discrimination in school. It will also be of interest to equality champions outside schools, for example academy chain or local authority officers and voluntary sector organisations working to promote equality in education.
The workshop is framed around CSIE’s new go-to guide “Equality: Making It Happen”, a succinct and user-friendly set of reference cards to help schools reduce bullying, address prejudice and promote equality holistically. The guide offers simple and practical advice, as well as links to sources of further information and support. The workshop will explore how schools can best respond to their legal equality duties and ensure that all protected characteristics covered by the Equality Act 2010 are reflected positively in the curriculum and in everyday school life. More than simply helping schools fulfil their legal duties or do well in an Ofsted inspection, this is a practical, "hands on" workshop designed to be engaging and constructive.
The workshop will:
- address equality in the context of current challenges in education;
- provide an overview of the Equality Act 2010;
- consider the public sector equality duty and its implications for schools;
- offer clear information on all protected characteristics;
- present a range of strategies for addressing prejudice and promoting equality;
- help participants develop confidence and language for discussing sensitive equality issues;
- provide simple and practical advice for reducing all forms of prejudice-based bullying;
- consider real-life examples (participants are encouraged to bring their own examples of equality challenges in school);
- refer to CSIE’s new equality guide for schools;
- assist in developing a context-specific framework for change.
Feedback from previous CSIE equality workshops:
“Eloquent and informative”
“A lot of very practical and very useful information”
“Excellent content and awareness of legal framework”